Let's form some e-bands!

Oct 8, 2008
Now that we've got programmable drums, MIDI-capable drumsets, direct guitar recording, reamping, fast connections, powerful online social networks.. WHY AREN'T WE ALL IN E-BANDS?

This thread is to facilitate the development of some e-bands, and hopefully we'll all learn something about our trades from one another and put out some quality material. It will also give us a chance to drool over what gear we have. So, I'm going to post pretty much my resume; I'm going to include some recorded material, my gear, my capabilities and skill levels, my desires, my songwriting habits, and my contact information. I hope you'll do the same, because I'm pretty sure that Metal Blade and Century Media are waiting for us to get started on this stuff, guys.

Hey, if enough of us drum up bands together, we could all pull a Roadrunner and make an Andy Sneap United record :lol:

Me

Name: Anthony Richkas (picture)
Band(s): Vitamins and Minerals of Death (all instruments, writing, recording)
Portfolio: VMOD's MySpace, VMOD - I (nine-track album)
Songwriting: I write a lot of music using TabIt, but I'm open to picking up something like Guitar Pro. I'm also cool with old-fashioned text file tabs and stuff, or with plain audio. But I find it easier to map everything out in something like TabIt and churn out a recording based on that.
What I Want to Create: Metal with melody. I'm looking for more of the same of what VMOD was, but I will CERTAINLY play lighter or heavier, whatever is within my skill range. Just having some melody is what's important to me. I don't really want to do a noisy thing.

Instruments - Gear, Ability, Willingness, etc

Guitar
-Intermediate/advanced. Mainly rhythm, some lead
-Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser V8 8-string, Schecter Hellraiser C7 7-string, Jackson DR7 7-string, Gibson worn Flying V 6-string, and a particularly cheap Yamaha acoustic
-Amps/cabs: Marshall JMP1 preamp, Marshall 9100 power amp, Marshall 1960A cab, Mesa Oversize 4x12 straight/slant cab, TONS of free amp sims, even more impulses/Nebula cabsims. Also have an Ibanez Tubescreamer and a MIJ Boss HM2. There are more but none that are important.
-Cab microphones: 2 x Audix I5, Sennheiser E906, M-Audio Sputnik, Sennheiser MD421

Bass
-Beginner-intermediate
-I'm a guitarist with a bass. I play with a pick.
-Basses: G&L L-2500 5-string, Ibanez BTB 5-string
-Amps/cabs: Peavey MAX preamp, 2 x Peavey Tour 210 cabs, ampsims, impulses, yadda yadda

Drums
-Beginner as a player, I'm awesome at programming though
-Roland TD3, Toontrack Superior 2.0, NY Vol2 and Metal Foundry expansions, EZdrummer

Vocals
-Screamy vocals, low to high
-I can PROBABLY sing with some training and Melodyne. But then again, probably not.
-I most likely don't have the best acoustics in town for vocal recording. I have a Reflexion Filter, but it's probably not enough. Who knows.
-Vocal mics: Groove Tubes GT55, M-Audio Sputnik, Sennheiser MD421

Mixing
-Probably at an early intermediate level
-Cubase Studio 4
-Sonnox Elite bundle, Nebula 3, POD Farm standard

Contact Information

AIM - Evvy Pedder
Yahoo - cl0wnfaced
MSN - aeternuseternus@gmail.com
E-mail - aeternuseternus@gmail.com

I'd prefer using any of these or an IRC chat room as a primary means of communication.

Also, if this idea sucks, I'll close the thread. If it doesn't, let's draw up an album or something!

Great idea. Sad that i'm not good enough for a band (even an "e-band"). ;)

But i guess i would be a good groupie tho :headbang:

Regards sandra

I've done this sort of thing before- it can be fun when it goes well :)

I haven't been doing extremely serious work but I did a quick metal thing to try out various stuff- so basically 'I can do this': http://www.jinxtigr.com/temp/LastMile.mp3

Lot of wankery but there are some interesting peculiar meters and stuff in there- I like having to count weird things and would like to do some Meshuggah-like things at some point when I get my shit together :) I struggle to play guitar with a pick as I grew up playing it with fingers a la Mark Knopfler, but it does mean I can play bass with fingers and I think it sounds fairly much like a bassist, that way.

I am already in one! The Freeze Tag Assassins.

Check it out - http://www.myspace.com/thefreezetagassassins

Seriously the best musical relationship I have ever had with people, and I fucking FULLY encourage you guys to do it!! There is no missing practice, no bullshit excuses, and honestly - the three of us compliment each other brilliantly since there are no ego's at all!! Seriously - It's fucking great!

PS - Add us!!!!! :)

PS2 - Sorry for the shameless plug!

I could do something but for rock stuff as I dont know much metal (neither have enough chops to play metal) to create something good. But if anyone is into modern rock, i am in.

Me

Name: Zach Miller http://tinypic.com/m/65qyw4/3
Band(s): None
Portfolio: MCMB Cover (www.myspace.com/ariarecordings), Old Shitty Metal Band (http://www.youtube.com/user/drmwm)
Songwriting: Im not a very good songwriter, but I feel I am a good producer.
What I Want to Create: Something really heavy lots of breakdowns, or something really funky, tech, heavy. (Less complex and more heavy periphery)

I like to play along with The Faceless, Born of Osiris (old), Veil of Maya, All Shall Perish, Bury Your Dead (old), Misery Signals (old), Black Dahlia Murder (old), Through the Eyes of the Dead, August Burns Red (old), Ion Dissonance.

I like to listen to [[havent tried to play along with]] Whitechapel, Elysia, Impending Doom, American Me, Into the Moat, Periphery, Those Who Lie Beneath, Once We Were Buried, A Plea for Purging, Within the Ruins.

Drums
-Intermediate-Not too great at really fast doublebass or blasts, but can play them fairly fast (200bpm-220bpm pretty consistent) can do MILD versions of periphery type metric modulation, groovy hithat ghost note grooves, can play in oddtime signatures.
-Pearl EXR series, 3 peice.
-S4 Ddrum Maple Snare.
-DW9000 pedals
-14inHH, 16inAA and 18inB8pro cracked crashes, AAX 10in splash, 18in Oriental China, HH 20in ride.

Mixing
-Beginner
-Reaper
-various free vsts and waves.
-Presonus Firestudio Project
-Rode NT5s
-DDrum Pro Triggers
-SM57x2

Contact Information

AIM - TheZachAtacKK (hit me up!)

I just love playing drums, and due to my IBS i cant play in bands anymore, an "E-Band" would be a perfect outlet for me and allow me to keep my skills sharp, meet new people, write some great tunes, learn some stuff, and most importantly have fun!

^ Breakdowns! Awesome. What kind of bands do you listen to? Big fan of breakdowns myself. In fact, maybe too much. Our last album got very harshly criticised for having one in every song. Maybe he just didn't like a good ol' breakdown ;)

Oops I forgot to add which bands I like (or want to emmulate)!

Well, I like to play along with The Faceless, Born of Osiris (old), Veil of Maya, All Shall Perish, Bury Your Dead (old), Misery Signals (old), Black Dahlia Murder (old), Through the Eyes of the Dead, August Burns Red (old), Ion Dissonance.

I like to listen to Whitechapel, Elysia, Impending Doom, American Me, Into the Moat, Periphery, Those Who Lie Beneath, Once We Were Buried, A Plea for Purging, Within the Ruins.

Name: Aaron MacFadyen
Portfolio: Lately have been recording some tracks for a metalcore project about batman called Brutes Wayne, have also been working on a more serious prog rock style project.
Songwriting: I like to write/record many different styles, i've found myself writing on an acoustic and sometimes adapting the song to an electric, usually i'll just grab a guitar and play whatever comes to my fingers.
What I Want to Create: I'd like to create something that doesnt necessarily follow a verse chorus verse dynamic, i like music that sends the listener on a journey.

Guitar
-Intermediate/advanced
-Guitars: Ibanez SZ320, Peavey Jack Daniels Acoustic Guitar (not sure on model as I won it)
-Amps/cabs: Ceriatone JCM800 2204, (Currently sourcing a Marshall 1960a cab)
-Sims: Toneport Gearbox

Mixing
-beginner/intermediate level (Haven't achieved that PRO sound, but getting closer)
-Cubase 4 AI

Vocal
-intermediate (looking to have vocal lessons from a friend)
-can sing and am trying to perfect my metal scream (think parkway drive style)

Contact Information

E-mail - aaron.macfadyen@gmail.com

Just another thought, it might be a good idea to try collaborate on Google Wave?

I'm down with this and will plan to post my info later. I actually started a thread specifically for this idea a while back on another part of the Ultimate Metal Forum, without much luck.

NINJAM is where it's at for online collaborating...

Name: Dmitri
Fav. Bands/Influences: Electric Wizard, YOB, Tom Waits, Blue Oyster Cult, Orange Goblin, Melvins, Reverend Bizarre, Kyuss, Bombay Laughing Club, Boris, Black Sabbath, Pentagram, Captain Beefheart, Earth, Howlin' Wolf, Bal-Sagoth, Acid Bath, Dissection, Agalloch...
Instruments: Anything and everything. All the standards (gtr/bass/vox/drums) plus keys, sitar, tampura, sarod, harpsichord, didgeridoo, cello, contrabass, violin, banjo, weird homemade shit... you get the idea. :)
Skills/Exp: 11 years composing/playing, 10 years mixing, 6 years mastering (mostly with high end mastering plugins).
Want to Make: Heavy doom metal, electronic/metal hybrid stuff and/or totally off-the-wall genre bending stuff (not just metal). I'm open to one-off collaborations/guest parts, splits, entire albums... whatever.

Name: Erik Monsonis Azpiroz (picture)
Band(s): Dandelium (all instruments, writing, recording)
Portfolio: Dandelium's MySpace, My personal MySpace
Songwriting: I write my music using FL Studio and Guitar Pro 5, so I can fully work on MIDI. I use Reaper for tracking/mixing/mastering. Can use ProTools if needed.
What I Want to Create: Whatever is cool, I love melodic death metal, modern death metal, tech metal, math metal... Anything with a lot of melody and good grooves.

Guitar
-Intermediate/advanced. Mainly rhythm, no lead.
-Guitars: Caparison Horus EMG loaded.
-Amps/cabs: When recording I only use VST ampsims, so I have them all :lol:

Bass
-Beginner
-I'm a guitarist with a bass. I play with a pick.
-Basses: Harley Benton HBB500 (broom stick...)
-Amps/cabs: POD Farm

Drums
-Beginner as a player, I'm awesome at programming too :lol:
-Toontrack Superior 2.0, Metal Foundry expansion, Steven Slate LE

Vocals
-All kinds of growl
-Clean singing, light baritone. My range is not an issue as long as I don't have to go too high.
-Thomann Reflexion Filter
-Vocal mics: Groove Tubes GT55, M-Audio Sputnik, Sennheiser MD421

Mixing
-Good mixing skills
-Reaper, ProTools
-Lots of plugins!

Contact Information

MSN - dandelium@gmail.com
E-mail - dandelium@gmail.com

I think this is a great idea

Name: Mike
Band(s): Broke,3Pr (did all the wrighting)
Portfolio: PM me for samples
Songwriting: I have 11 songs written all with the flexibility to change/restructure if needed (2 guitars,bass,drums) no lyrics or vocal melodies written
What I Want to Create: Metal with melody. I'm looking for a singer/screamer with decent capabilities to do both

Guitar
-Intermediate/advanced. Mainly rhythm, some lead
-Guitars: Ibanez rg 6 and 7 string/ Takamine acoustic

Drums
-Beginner as a player, I'm awesome at programming though

Vocals
- Can handle backing vocals

Mixing
-Probably at an early intermediate level
-Pro tools 8

Contact Information

AIM - Dalinkwent48
Yahoo - same
E-mail - Dalinkwent48@aim.com

This is a very cool idea, im interested in future guest vocalists for future stymphalian stuff along with Felix so ill be keeping an eye on this.