Recabinet 2.0 Modern and Vintage - May 21

The demos we have up on the site are pretty much it. What album(s) do you think of when you say "sludgey?" Perhaps I can do a quick clip. :cool:

Heya! Something along the lines of ISIS's 'Panopticon', or Cult of Luna's 'Salvation'

Basically, it'd just be good to hear something downtuned and doomy, rather than technical and thrashy as is the norm around the Sneap forums. Actually, if you want, I could use the demo impulses and make a demo for you, in the sort of style I'm after.

Heya! Something along the lines of ISIS's 'Panopticon', or Cult of Luna's 'Salvation'

Basically, it'd just be good to hear something downtuned and doomy, rather than technical and thrashy as is the norm around the Sneap forums. Actually, if you want, I could use the demo impulses and make a demo for you, in the sort of style I'm after.

I'll give it a go as soon as time permits. I am a fan of ISIS, and I'll check out the Cult Of Luna also. :kickass:

No worries Kaz. I did however just buy the complete package!:kickass:

I got TH-1 today, and been using it all night. It came with demos of your stuff, which I really dug; so that pushed me over the edge!

The Recabinet 2.0 DEMO only comes with IRs from two cabinets: 1960 and Top Boost. It also includes the old 1.05 demo, because it might as well, rather than let the 1.05 demo turn into some kind of black market cult thing.

The Ghandi cabinet in Recabinet 2.0 is totally resampled in the new studio with the new mics. It's my personal Mesa Oversize cab that I used for Backmask's "Dark Fiber." It was previously owned by Jeff Kendrick of Devlidriver.

Good work, Kazrog! Thanx!
On the one hand, these are far too many impulses to step through each of them (BTW: the well-organized recording/naming scheme makes it pretty easy to find what I am looking for). On the other hand I feel very comfortable to have high quality IRs for every possible occasion on hand. That will be the reason for me to buy the Vintage (I purchased Modern) set as well.
And I not even tried to mix different impulses, mainly because they served me so well on their own, that I did not find the need to do it, yet.

Did a quick test of the topboost impulses yesterday, sounded very good for impulses. Still had that lack of depth and dynamics that you get from impulses, but otherwise the character was really there and it seemed to mix very easily (and no trouble with the highs and high mids this time). Would be great if you could one day do a nebula based recabinet.

well, i´ve messed with recabinet v2 just a little the day it came out and i´m affraid to say that it doesn´t seem to fill my expectations. Why ???

Maybe it´s me, i don´t know...
with v2 i´ve run through all mics and it seems that all impulses are thin by themselves, lacking lowend, i was expecting something else..i´ll try to explain.

I tend to use GuitarHack´s impulses for reference and they have a wealthy amount of lowend in them that doesn´t clutter the mix lowend, and i´m aware that a bass will make a diference and that in a mix context v2 impulses may sound good but i really haven´t had the time to test that.(yes i heard the demos also).
The thing is, take for example one of guitarhack´s impulses, let´s say @edge -1inch and ghandi´s correspondent and test them back to back.....i prefer without a doubt GH´s, there is a immense difference to my ears...there´s clearly something missing in recabinet´s impulses!!!!
wether it´s needed or not in the mix is another question.

I usually play through impulses with my monitors and i have to say that it´s no fun playing with recabinet´s, (i might add that i felt this way with recabinet 1.5, but still it seems that in this context they sound better to my ears than 2.0.). they sound miles appart from other impulses that are around, because this lack of lowend!!!!

The point is, since Kazrog said he was going to take a new approach at making recabinet modern, i had high hopes that his v2 library could compete with GH impulses which i feel way are better (feel free to disagree), and benefit from other cabs other that the typical mesaOVZ, and the combinations of other mics, which is a great adition to the library.
To me, it´s like this: lot´s of impulse of great cabs with various mics and positions but not "usefull" too me (well the demos sound good, but that´s not the point i´m trying to make).
So, summing it up i feel that all of Kazrog´s work is still not 100% what it could be.......or it maybe the case that my earing sucks

Anyone else feel this way or has had the same input has i?
Any thoughts, comments or STFU´s:loco:

p.s. this is meant to be a constructive critique not a bashing at a product, i hope kazrog improves his product the best he can .......................................(since we´re not seing nebula happening just yet:Smug:)

Pot - I appreciate your feedback. Perhaps I can help you get the tone you're looking for. Post clips and let's go from there. There's a lot of IRs to sort through, and 2.0 has only been out a few days - I'm confident you haven't tried everything. :)

Recabinet was developed out of the desire to have a professional library of speaker cabinet impulses, because I was unhappy with what was available for free. We've done extensive testing with guitarists using different rigs before ever releasing 2.0, and we're confident that Recabinet 2.0 is the best library of speaker cabinet impulse responses available. It's also a complex and multifaceted collection, and it may have more of a learning curve to it than some of the freebie stuff out there as a result, so I am here to support and fully stand behind the product. If you're not getting the results you are looking for, I will personally help you achieve them.

Hi there Kazrog, thx for the quick feedback and helping hand:)

I was eager to see if someone else felt like me in this issue, but maybe it´s just me and my ears…since no one else chimed in let´s address the issue.

The thing is that it isn´t a question of how many IRs there are or combinations between them, it´s about something i believe and AUDIBLY PERCEIVE that isn´t there in your IRs (i mean in the entire library) and that i ear in other impulses, there´s a quality there that´s missing... and tend to believe that is something related with the trimming of the files or whatever it´s done to them after being captured, not so much the capturing process itself .

Is it a overall “Voicing” aspect like in the the early releases of recabinet???
Maybe!! I´m inclined to believe it is so.
As i tried to explain in my above post my reference are GH´s IR which all forum members are acquainted with (ALL HAIL GuitarHack:worship:) because to me they are the best, and if one listens carefully they have something else more than recabinet´s Ghandi, a sense a FULLNESS to the sound.

I’ve played my gtr using Voxengo pristine space A\Bing the exact same impulses ( A-GH JJ EDGE-1, B-ghandi 6L6 57 edge 1 - same mic, same position) and the difference is immense between them. Of course that are differences but I dare anyone reading this to try and do the same themselves and ear the difference that I ear and ultimately try to understand what the f… i´m talking about here, and then may understand that this issue, (IMO) affects all the library (cabs ands mic positions).

Well, u (Kazrog) can say that your confident that recabinet is the best library of speaker cabinet impulse responses available, and that u were unhappy with what was available for free, but tell me honestly your opinion, do u dislike GH IRs or fell that they don´t give an accurate representation of the cab (mesa), because back to back his IR DO sound better than the ones in Recabinet.(I do so believe). Please Kazrog, do try the same impulse ”test” back to back as above stated.

Like I said, that “quality” that I think is missing is lacking in ghandi IR (and ultimately in all other IR´s). Like the first versions of recabinet which had different “voicings “ recabinet 2.0 has one also…I believe this is the heart of the question - the “voicing”, the general character of the library.
Did I make sense?!? Am I the only feeling this way??

Well what i´d like u to do or anyone else reading is to make the above experiment and tell me what U EAR, and if anyone feels i´m dead wrong tell me.:lol:

On a side note, these IRs aren´t ready to combine with other impulses other than recabinet´s, there´s always an offset that needs to be adjusted, and they aren´t trimmed in the beginning which I find annoying (imo they should be properly trimmed)

Sincerely Pedro:)

Pedro - my opinion doesn't really matter, what matters is whether or not you are happy with the product you purchased (Recabinet.) If you're truly not happy, I will give you a refund, but I wanted to at least help you achieve some good results with Recabinet. If you're not interested in my help/support, then fine, just let me know either way. :)

As for the issue with the leading silence on the IRs - it's something we're aware of that accidentally made it into the 2.0 release, and there will be a free update that fixes it for everyone soon.

PS - metalfish made a pretty cool post on the Recabinet Forums on this same topic, it's worth a look at his frequency graphs, they are representative of the differences between the specific Recabinet and GuitarHack IRs mentioned by Pedro.

well i´ve posted in 3 different foruns because i wanted more feedback from people but it seems that i didn´t get much...:rolleyes:

i have to say that at the momment im not really happy with recabinet because to my ears i can get a better sound with others thus rendering recabinet kinda "useless" to me, but i haven´t started this rant to get a refund...that wasn´t on my mind.
since none of the forumites chimmed in i´ll take this matter to the recabinet forum.

p.s. i appreciate your willingness in helping me out with recab.:)

P.

i liked the previous demo of recab but i sort of agree with you on 2.0. There is a lack of low end on the marshall av impulse. I'm thinking maybe the cab is suppose to sound like that in contrast to the ghandi mesa cab. TBH i was expecting at least a little more low end though and it sounds kind of messed up. I would recommend everyone to try the demo's before a purchase.

There's TONS of low end in the 421 IRs included in the current Recabinet 2.0 demo, blend it with the 57 if you really want to get a beefy sound. And don't even get me started about all the low end content to be had in the full collection.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting more than enough low end going on with Recabinet 2.0. I really need to get some videos up on YouTube soon, because it seems like there are a few people that are confused by the update (what did I expect really, releasing 1600 IRs at once :lol: )

Most people using Recabinet 2.0 are getting awesome results right away, with plenty of full-frequency response going on, so if you're NOT having a similar experience to that, then there's something you're doing fundamentally differently (I hesitate to say "wrong" because this is just music after all.) The Recabinet 2.0 manual goes some of the way into tone exploration, but there's only so much you can do with the printed word, so I will be doing videos as soon as time permits.

Also, the demo is going to be expanded soon, by popular request. I'll post again when all the updates are live.

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that the 2.01, 1.06, and demo updates are all online now. This is a recommended update for Mac/PC and AxeFX users, as it fixes phase and latency issues with the IRs.

Recabinet TH1 Edition users: The Recabinet TH1 Edition installers for 2.01 and 1.06 are still in the process of being created, you guys may have to wait a few days before you can get the update. Very sorry for any inconvenience! :loco:

If you already own Recabinet Complete, Modern, or Vintage, you can get the free update on the download page of the appropriate members' area link for your product flavor, listed in the Software Updates section here:

http://recabi.net/site/support/

The Recabinet 2.01 Demo is here (with some extra IRs this time):
http://recabi.net/demo/Recabinet_2.01_Demo.zip

And obviously, if you decide to buy Recabinet as a new customer, you'll automatically gain access to the latest versions in your receipt email. Enjoy, and of course let me know if you have any questions!

Shane, I think this sounds great. I particularly like the 1960 Sm57, which just sounds awesome to me with AT Metal and the 80 Metalz B preset. The Tangerine is lovely too. For me, I prefer it to the other stuff that is around.