Recabinet 4 (Thermionik) vs TSE X50 V2.3

Yea, I'd be happy with that or even give an option for always on, always off or keep it like it is now. Maybe next to the oversampling slider.

I'll go ahead and say it, however unwanted this may be to onqel/Kazrog/anyone else here: I would pay stupid amounts of money (surely more than what the VIP package costs) to see Thermionik and Recabinet's technology fitted within X50's UI, with the pre (pedals) and post processing (effects rack), and with amp heads UI reflecting the actual amp heads.

You guys have got great products. People who want proper sound will buy one anyway. A great (& clean) UI will attract a whole world of "casual" guitarists. You probably aren't looking to target casual users as much as you are targeting folks who are comfortable with the nuances of sound. But at the end of the day, by being more inclusive, you have a winner product AND a pocket full of cash. ;)

No further comparison? I don't really see clips with Thermionik at all, reception is a bit silent...

I bought it a couple of days ago myself. I'm a bit puzzled about it to be honest.

I like the overall quality of the tone. It's complex,responsive and non-linear, at least that's how it feels.
But, I find it hard to dial the sound I'm after, partly because the the pots are very interactive. Too much to my liking. I find myself using very strange settings to get what I need.
It also seems very gainy while my gain staging is nothing out of the usual.

Another problem is that it sounds a bit off when using external impulses, especially if you started to dial a tone using internal cabinet models.
Already had that feeling with Recabinet 3.
It's like the entire cabinet selection is calibrated in a certain way that is different from every other impulses (both free and commercial, and including my own)

I need to dig deeper obviously but it's not instant gratification so far like say X50 v2 for example.

It's like the entire cabinet selection is calibrated in a certain way that is different from every other impulses (both free and commercial, and including my own)

I posted about this exact thing some months ago. I think it's partly that the mic placement settings chosen for the modeling are somewhat unqiue, but there is something in the overall sound that makes it very mids-dominant, with not very much low-end rumble or high-end sparkle that's in nearly every other impulse- and in real life, tbh. I still love Recabinet, but it takes a fair amount of work to get a tone that sounds like I want it to sound, and I'm just not sure why that is vis-a-vis lots of other impulses, whether you're talking about Redwirez, TMS, or even the Torpedo stuff. Maybe more mic placement settings would help in future versions.

No further comparison? I don't really see clips with Thermionik at all, reception is a bit silent...

I will be uploading a new comparison with Revalver involved too. I've been meaning to release it in the last few days but I've been too busy. It should be up by the end of today or tomorrow.

I bought it a couple of days ago myself. I'm a bit puzzled about it to be honest.

I like the overall quality of the tone. It's complex,responsive and non-linear, at least that's how it feels.
But, I find it hard to dial the sound I'm after, partly because the the pots are very interactive. Too much to my liking. I find myself using very strange settings to get what I need.

They may be reacting more like the modeled amp rather than how you'd perceive the knobs to act. I remember when Line 6 changed the Rectifier sim from the first generation in later models, it just wasn't the same, and I liked the earlier one better. :)

Watch Ola's videos for the Mesa Mark V 25W amp. It looks like he has the bass and mid knobs turned to 0. I can see doing that with the mid knob, but not the bass knob. :heh:

Another problem is that it sounds a bit off when using external impulses, especially if you started to dial a tone using internal cabinet models.

I need to dig deeper obviously but it's not instant gratification so far like say X50 v2 for example.

I didn't have any problem using Thermionik with another IR, but I was using Revalver III.V's RIR to host it, with Thermionik's cab sim turned off. I just have one IR that seems to be my go-to IR from the Keiffer pack. It works with everything I've tried, be it freeware or payware. Even POD Farm. :err:

They may be reacting more like the modeled amp rather than how you'd perceive the knobs to act. I remember when Line 6 changed the Rectifier sim from the first generation in later models, it just wasn't the same, and I liked the earlier one better. :)

Watch Ola's videos for the Mesa Mark V 25W amp. It looks like he has the bass and mid knobs turned to 0. I can see doing that with the mid knob, but not the bass knob. :heh:

Well in that case, the Psycho doesn't react like my real 6505 at all.

Thanks for your support!

Hmm, well all I can say is that the IR loader in Recabinet should practically null with SIR2 if you load the same cabinet impulse and disable Recabinet's EQ. SIR2 is the most accurate realtime convolution IR loader on the market, and I wanted to make sure that Recabinet was just as good (which it is.)

As far as the sound of Recabinet's included IR library, I realize it is unique - some people love it, and some people hate it. There are so many factors in guitar tone that there's no way any single approach to cabinet miking and IR capture is going to work for everyone.

Psycho A is modeled from a 1992 block letter 5150, not a 6505.

Shane! Congrats on the Thermionik. What is the main difference between the 1992 Block Letter 5150 and the standard 6505 ? I thought they were exactly the same but just used different naming because of Peavey losing the EVH brand? You said the 6505+ was exactly the same as a 5150 MK2 with a different name some time ago, shouldn't it be the same for the 5150?

- John

Shane! Congrats on the Thermionik. What is the main difference between the 1992 Block Letter 5150 and the standard 6505 ? I thought they were exactly the same but just used different naming because of Peavey losing the EVH brand? You said the 6505+ was exactly the same as a 5150 MK2 with a different name some time ago, shouldn't it be the same for the 5150?

- John

Thanks!

I've done some further research, and discovered that there are some small component sourcing and tolerance differences between the block letter 5150 and the later signature model and 6505. How much that factors into the sound isn't something I've had a chance to test side by side, but I erred on the side of caution and got the coveted block letter model just to shut the purists up, basically. :lol:

The 5150 II and 6505+ should be the same, but that hasn't been looked into.

Psycho A = block letter 5150
Psycho B = 5150 II

I am curious as to what voltages and frequencies in hertz were used during the development and testing phase of these plugins.

I have noticed those factors can have a direct impact on the character of an amplifier.

I have noticed irregularities when the incoming voltage varies....

voltage_zpsdce9347b.png

My amp does not sound the same when using Zimbabwe voltage as compared to the United States.

Just my observation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from my memories of designing a class A amplifier years ago, the source of power is transformed so that the amp has available a DC current, and a lower voltage. It shouldn't affect the sound in any way ?