Recabinet 4 (Thermionik Psycho B) vs TSE X50 V2.3 vs Revalver 4 (6505) comparison

Hawkevil

Jan 20, 2008
I made a new thread as the other one was going a bit off topic from the actual comparison.

I didn't think the first comparison video I made was as fair as I could have made it because I used Recabinet's cab section for both amps.

In this comparison I used the same two impulses on each amp sim but using their own cab section. I also thrown in Revalver 4 for some more depth to the comparison.

My signal chain: Music Man Silhouette (BKP Aftermath) -- TSE 808 -- Amp Sim -- Impulses (Guitarhack Edge 45 and Catharsis 1on-preshigh) -- High and low pass filters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, Revalver is the most different by quite a bit.

Something I forgot to mention in the first post. I dialed in the tone using the X50 because I used Recabinet last time and the settings are identical on each amp sim.

Wasn't impressed by the Revalver sound at all. X50 is my preference in this comparison. Recab4's pick attack was nice but as an overall tone I favored the x50, just something about x50's mids. They're both great and I'm sure it comes down to personal preference.

Good stuff :)

~scott

maybe I am the only one but for me revalver is the winner here. It feels right and sounds evil. I think it sounds darker because the quality mode is running on smooth high end but you can change it to clear high end when you don't like it

IMO recab wins on faster parts because of a great pick attack, but x50 is nicer on sustained chords because of the prominent mids. I own both and they are really good at what they both do.
That said, 6505 is getting kinda old.

Yep, I agree with most of the stuff said here, in my opinion Recab and X50 stand tall against Revalver. All are definitely usable though. Revalver just takes much more tweaking.

maybe I am the only one but for me revalver is the winner here. It feels right and sounds evil. I think it sounds darker because the quality mode is running on smooth high end but you can change it to clear high end when you don't like it

I set it to the mode which was closest to the other two amp sims. To be honest, I think it's the crappy impulse loader in Revalver that has coloured the sound so much. Staying away from that is the single best thing you can do with Revalver, haha. Everything else is actually pretty decent.

Yep, I agree with most of the stuff said here, in my opinion Recab and X50 stand tall against Revalver. All are definitely usable though. Revalver just takes much more tweaking.

I set it to the mode which was closest to the other two amp sims. To be honest, I think it's the crappy impulse loader in Revalver that has coloured the sound so much. Staying away from that is the single best thing you can do with Revalver, haha. Everything else is actually pretty decent.

The IR loader in Revalver is really made for their impulses. I still use RIR from Revalver III.V for third party IRs.

Why did you need the TS in front? Because the pickup is passive?

I just prefer having a tighter tone really. Recabinet on its own is pretty tight but a TS in front just makes things feel nicer.

The IR loader in Revalver is really made for their impulses. I still use RIR from Revalver III.V for third party IRs.

Ahh okay. Yea, it makes sense. It's by far the worst IR loader for 3rd party IR's. It smooths everything out and boosts the bottom end artificially.