Recabinet 4 (Thermionik) vs TSE X50 V2.3

Hawkevil

Jan 20, 2008
I always like to compare new amp sims so thought I would do it with this too.

I'm really enjoying Thermionik and even though I do still really like the X50 I seem to get a better feel out of Thermionik. It seems tighter and notes are more defined. As for which one is closer to a real 5150 I'm not too sure as it's been a while since I owned one.

I can send someone my D.I's if you are willing to put it through the real thing. Just send me PM.

Everything in the signal chain is identical apart from the pre and power amps.

I set the knobs as close as I could.

There is quite a big difference between the two tones, especially compared to how close the Revalver 4 and X50 are in my other videos. So, you be the judge on which is closer to the real life 5150.

Signal chain: Music Man Silhouette - BKP Aftermath - TSE R47 -- Amp sim pre and power amp -- Recabinet cab section - Oversize - Sm57 impulse - ReaEQ for HPF and LPF

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I done mate. I preferred Psycho B over Psycho A so went with MkII. I should have mentioned that really.

There's a bigger difference between Psycho A and B compared to X50 MkI and MkII.

Great clip! I honestly like both tones. I'd be curious to hear a version with Psycho A, as it has more of the throaty low mids (it's modeled off an original 1992 block letter 5150 that I got recently.)

Thanks man! Loving the software. Very happy that I bought it.

Yea, I might have to do another comparison. I think Psycho A and X50 will be closer. Psycho B just has that distinct Machine Head sort of 5150 tone so I stuck with that on this one.

wow Thermionik sounds so much more 3D. I actually prefer it to TSE X50 in this clip. That's saying a lot because X50 is awesome.

^
Check thread title :)

Nice comparison, both sounds great !
If each Thermionik amps sound that great, I think I'll upgrade to Recabinet4.

wow Thermionik sounds so much more 3D. I actually prefer it to TSE X50 in this clip. That's saying a lot because X50 is awesome.

Yep, they are both great and have their own sound. If you use amp sims for practicing though Thermionik has a nicer feel. You just feel more connected to the amp.

Both probably have best results with their own cab section so can you compare with an external impulse? e.g. the below
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6729934/Telos Tropicana.zip
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/905685-my-best-ever-ir-57-201-api.html

I was thinking of doing this! Using psycho A from Recabinet against the X50 but also adding Revalver into the comparison too. All using their own cab sections but with the same impulse.

Did you use X50 V2.3 or 2.0.x? :)

X50 V2.3

^
Check thread title :)

Nice comparison, both sounds great !
If each Thermionik amps sound that great, I think I'll upgrade to Recabinet4.

Thanks man. They all sound great. Just like the real amps, it all depends on what sound you are after. When you think of the unique characteristics of each real life amp, that's what you're going to get. Engl has that tight squishy tone. The dual rectifier is loose, has massive amounts of gain and bottom end and the Framus Cobra is like a darker version of the 5150.

I thought X50 was a 5150II anyway, and the mod button 'on the back' was to get a popular mod that people did to their 5150II's.

Comparing X50v2 (2.3) to Psycho A is worlds apart, but comparing X50v2 to Psycho B (without X50 mod on) makes them almost like-for-like.

The same with Revalver, I always managed to get the amp sims to sound extremely similar with the knobs on the same positions.. if I compared X50 to the 6505+ and not the 6505.

This was my idea anyway, I'm normally wrong about stuff like this so please do tell me :p.

I totally agree with you. Psycho A is massively different but Psycho B comes very close to X50. I'm guessing that's why there isn't much difference between MkII mod being on and off on the X50. I only hear a slight gain change and tightening up of the amp but Psycho A and B are completely different. I much prefer Psycho B for this comparison.

Revalver seems the furthest away to me. I've been comparing all three using their own cab sections. X50 and Recab are very close but I'm not sure if it's because I used NadIR for Revalver or what but it's very different. Especially in the top end. I will try the audio stream splitter thing to see if that makes a difference.

Does this mean you turned the knobs to the same position or that you turned the to match the sound as close as they can?

The latter would be a proper comparison.

I get where you are coming from but I like the idea that these plugins claim to be a replica of a specific amp so I like to see how close they are on the same settings.

I said it that way because it was before I realised you could hover over the knobs in Thermionik to get an accurate dial number.

I'm currently putting another comparison together, only this time each amp sim uses their own cab section. Recab and the X50 are much closer now even though I would still give the edge to Recab. It sounds and feels a bit more dynamic and lively. I also added Revalver into the comparison too but it's way off the other two amp sims.

To tell the truth I don't care which one sounds like a real 5150. I just like the way Therm sounds

Yea, I get you. It's so easy to get caught up in the whole idea that it should sound exactly like a certain amp but if it sounds natural and good, in the end it doesn't really matter. Accurate to a real life 5150 is just a bonus at a fraction of the cost of one. Especially when that fraction of the cost is 40x cheaper than something like an Axe FX.

... I realised you could hover over the knobs in Thermionik to get an accurate dial number.

@Kazrog, do you think making the numbers visible permanently would be an option? Having to wait for a second each time the knobs are turned is a bit.... whine-inducing lol.

@Kazrog, do you think making the numbers visible permanently would be an option? Having to wait for a second each time the knobs are turned is a bit.... whine-inducing lol.

OK, I'll add that in the next update. I had considered putting it in 4.0.0, and it was in several betas, but I took it out because I wanted people to listen with their ears, not their eyes. :loco:

Yea, the only benefit I have gained from having the numbers was when dialing in the same settings on the X50 for this comparison. If you added the dial numbers around the knob I wouldn't mind it. I guess it looks a bit more authentic but I think if you kept it the same way it is now but with the numbers showing up constantly it would get quite annoying.