TSE X50 vs. 5150: Can you tell Which is Which?

Isn't the x50 a 6505+ sim, hence the '6505 mod' button, rendering this more of a tone difference rather than real vs fake amp?

Either way, I guessed B for the real thing!

Isn't the x50 a 6505+ sim, hence the '6505 mod' button, rendering this more of a tone difference rather than real vs fake amp?

Pretty much, and the 6505 mod isn't finished according to Onqel. The sim definitely sounded more honky and kinda shrill in this comparison, so the tonestacks aren't similar at least. Also the 6505+ has less gain than the 6505 so the sim is a bit undergained as well.

i cant say i hear a lot of things on my laptop speakers at the moment but the first clip sounds way more scratchy; that is the main difference that i can hear now. i dont have as much experience in 5150s as you guys do since i didnt get to play mine enough (what happens with gas and buying too many things at the same time) but i remember thinking this amp is agressive but yet smooth and wondered at first if it was a tube issue or not though i liked that about it. Not to say that the first clip cant be fixed to take that into account.. either way its good to be a guitarist now.. a great job on the sims.

EDIT: again im on the laptop but just listened again thinking it was clip a and a bit scratchy then noticed its the b. when then i heard a i was like ohhh ok that is way more scratchy. So i guess the real test is when you dont have any comparison just a clip in the mix and a question guys is this real or not. then its tough to say unless you focus a bit on how dynamic (which i cant say i was hearing much on the laptop..)

I listened through my iPhone speakers...I could hear the differences

Sure it's easy to hear a difference. That's not essential. I'm surprised... I much preferred the X50. This is like the ultimate 5150 GAS killer for me... I've been thinking about buying one since they are so cheap but X50 wins for me atleast. :)

onqel, I think they both sound great, though my personal preference is the second part of the clip. Such a great vst you've created!

~scott