Revalver 4 6505 vs TSE X50 V2

You can also try x50 into RIR2 and revalver's 6505 into x50's cab sim. That would be interesting.

I'm sure it will!

Hawkevil
Just for the sake of curiosity, were you using oversampling (or the equivalent for quality mode) in both programs in that video?

You can also try x50 into RIR2 and revalver's 6505 into x50's cab sim. That would be interesting.

Good idea mate! This is exactly what I'm going to do!

I'm sure it will!

Hawkevil
Just for the sake of curiosity, were you using oversampling (or the equivalent for quality mode) in both programs in that video?

For the X50 I was using full oversampling but I didn't even know Revalver had a quality setting until after I had done the video.

I've been messing around with it much more now though and using RIR2 for both amps I have noticed they are much closer matched than in the video.

If I was forced to only use one and I didn't get a choice in which, I would be happy with any one of them.

The X50 sounds a bit squishier and has a SLIGHTLY better feel to it but the 6505 has more mids to play with and a bit more versatile in its voicing but them extra mids can also really throw the whole tone off and make it sound boxy and dull feeling if you use too much.

The gain on either has pro's and con's. The 6505 seems to roll off gain a bit more smoothly. Sounds a bit nicer to the ears and using your guitar volume knob it's possible to get a totally clean sound from the red channel which from my experience is the only amp sim I have used that replicates real life amps in that way. When it comes to lots of gain though the X50 has the slight edge. Notes are more defined at higher gain than on the 6505 which gets quite muddy when using too much of it. You really have to fine tune the gain to get it just right, where as the X50 is much easier to bang the gain up and not have too much trouble.

For the X50 I was using full oversampling but I didn't even know Revalver had a quality setting until after I had done the video.

Yeah, it was global before, but now, each module has it's individual quality setting and it's not quite obvious.

I've been messing around with it much more now though and using RIR2 for both amps I have noticed they are much closer matched than in the video.

Great that you are unlocking it's secrets. It's a complex tool and surely takes it's time to get to know it and get the best results out of it. To quote an user from KVR on R4: "plug-and-play it is not" :D
Looking forward to another video.

Revalver sounds more realistic to me, they both sound about as good as each other. I almost prefer Revalver.

Dude this is plenty awesome! Prefer X50 here too.
Would be nice to see a comparison between X50 and Emissary from Ignite Amps, your test video is really detailed and clear enough while sounding really great!
I've heard people claiming Emissary the best amp sim out there atm (and I've compared Emissary with X50 V1 and like Emissary better).

I think almost every amp sim is good today. The amps just have its own charakter so it is personal taste what you choose. Most important is the cab simulation. I like the x50 and revalvers 6505. They don't sound so much different. I am not sure because my ears were dead through testing but I think the 6505+ sounds more like the x50 when you run both through rir2. Someone should start a comparison between x50, revalver 6505, 6505+, real miced 6505 and with different cab simulation like wall of sound III, nebula and rir2. Thats a lot of work but I find a nice idea to see how important the cab sim is. I'm not sure if its my mixing skills but miced amps sound more open to me. So we find out which cab or amp sim can simulate this best

For the record (or people not knowing, reading from the thread):

RIR2 can't work with any random impulse out there, so you can't use it for your custom impulses.

The most (or only) important new part of RIR2 is the capturing of the interaction between amp and a cabinet. This is the 'extra' stuff they captured with RIR2, and is why you can't just load any random impulse in it.

This interaction thing only works with the Revalver amps, since they only supply the data that RIR2 needs to do the impedance-changes.

So putting X50 (with cab off) into RIR2 won't do anything special in RIR2.

So it's a bit of a shame, but (IMHO) the most important new thing only works when you use RIR2.. and for me it takes a lot of getting used to using somebody else's IR captures again :S.

Revalver always had the tendency to be light on bass-output and become 'boxy' or 'too mid-present' very quickly. The new 6505(+) seems to have fixed that somewhat (with using an external 808 plugin and using NadIR for impulse loading, X50v2 and Rv4 come really really close with using the knobs on the same settings. X50's input level trim is way higher by default (the reason for the higher gain if you don't change it)... input level needs to be matched with every amp sim people, they're almost never the same).

The Flathill (recto) still seems to have a lot of it though. For instance, comparing the same knob positions with the same DI + 808 + IR, I rendered Lecto (with resonance at 0), Th2 and StudioDevil's A.M.P. and then Revalver4. The first 2 are close... _scary_ close. The 3rd is also close, but is just a bit less on bass.. a bit, still sounds full.. The 4th (Revalver) suddenly sounds like all the bass is gone and very boxy. Increasing the treble and presence _a bit_, dropping the mids _a bit_ but throwing the bass from 4 to 9 got Revalver _very_ close. But it needed the bass knob to be on a complete other position.

So it can do the same, and sound just as good, but something in the modeling (or the model they did) is off compared to 'the other sims' out there :). Or the tonestack is completely different.
Did the same with Amplitube, and it also sounded close but way darker. Since it didn't have a presence control this is kinda expected.

Try as I might I can't get the exact same tone out of Guitar Rig. I always felt something was 'wrong' with the way the knobs responded. Turning the mids low added a nasty 'hssssss' to everything, and no matter how high I turn the treble or presence, it seems very dark and boxy compared to the others.

So Revalver4 certainly seems to got the tone, just set the tonestack by ear and not with your eyes (which makes sense and isn't a bad thing).. and remember that RIR2 can only add something when paired with a Revalver4 amp (there seem to be bugs when using multiple amps and chain-splitters, RIR2 doesn't know to 'link' to which amp when doing the speaker-interaction thing :)).

So Revalver4 certainly seems to got the tone, just set the tonestack by ear and not with your eyes (which makes sense and isn't a bad thing).. and remember that RIR2 can only add something when paired with a Revalver4 amp (there seem to be bugs when using multiple amps and chain-splitters, RIR2 doesn't know to 'link' to which amp when doing the speaker-interaction thing :)).

This is the solution so far to use more than one RIR2 instance but, with this new plataform, ReValver is never finished when it comes to modules. Releasing the software was the first step in putting the new model out there. A RIR2 module that can load more than one speaker may (probably will?) come down the road.

Just to (double)check I'm right in me saying that RIR2 will only add something new (the interaction) when paired with a Revalver amp, right? I wanna know I'm not just spreading false info or something :).

Just to (double)check I'm right in me saying that RIR2 will only add something new (the interaction) when paired with a Revalver amp, right? I wanna know I'm not just spreading false info or something :).

I'm checking with the engineer to give you more information on that and how the RIR2 module reacts with the use of the Signal Splitter. I'll post it here later.

The more I demo R4 the more I like it. Peavey definitely moved in the right direction and in my opinion this is way ahead of MKIII.v.

I have really gotten to the point now where there's no use comparing it to
X50 because they are both excellent at what they do and my reason for getting ReValver 4 is more about the variety of amp and sounds, not just the 6505 because I have that covered already. Sometimes I like to get lost in all the options lol.

Great stuff :kickass:

This was an entertaining read.Peavey representative fighting against some little known indie developer.
Revalver was a failure since v1 anyways,it was Alien Connections back then.Probably it still is the same team.
Peavey made a bad investment.
People expect software kemper these days,nothing less,not just "enhanced" IR loader.

This was an entertaining read.Peavey representative fighting against some little known indie developer.
Revalver was a failure since v1 anyways,it was Alien Connections back then.Probably it still is the same team.
People expect software kemper these days,nothing less,not just "enhanced" IR loader.

No one's fighting, though.....

Fighting? Sorry, but that was not my intention at all. I just came here to check this very good video and the comments on ReValver 4 and how people regard it in comparison with one of the dearest amp sims of today. I also wanted to look at the follow up comments in order to improve our product. Simple as that.

I've tested revalver 4 the whole week. The next days I will record a little easy riff and compare revalver to x50 and kemper (reamping online). After that I will post it here. What I find out is that revalver did a little step forward. You need just a little bit time for it because it's different and there are so many options. The high end is much smoother and I noticed the dynamic in the low end. Not as good as a kemper does but better than another amp simulation I've tried.

After messing around with Revalver further I noticed that the IR Loaders on my last video were quite different in sound so it was only fair I used the same one. I also didn't notice there was a quality setting for Revalver until after my first video.

I also messed around with the valves.

The only thing different in the chain is the amp itself. Everything else is identical.

I decided to exaggerate the guitars a little more in the mix than my last test by softening the drums up a little. The tones are so close I thought it would be a good idea.

After doing this both amp sims are pretty identical. Neither is better than the other in my opinion. Yea, you can hear slight differences in the tone but when it comes to the quality I don't think you can really rule one over the other. I'm actually edging on the side of Revalver here with the versatility it holds with how much you can tweak.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont see any fight and revalver was never a failure.Revalver has the best peavey amp sims.Now that x50 is out we have more options,just different.So relax kid.