Recabinet 5 (originally 4.1) released

A quick mix I did with Recabinet 5.
Used Psycho B and the Serpent amps for the rhythm guitars
Psycho B for the leads.
Cab IR's were all from the Fat Lazy Cabs set.
(Still new to mixing so any advice would be awesome)
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/r6pgfgatji1fch7/Recabinet 5 test.mp3?dl=0

Overall I really like the tones I've been getting it. Pyscho B has been my go-to amp for demos.
Just curious about what Fat Lazy Cab IR specifically you used for the rhythm tone

Just curious about what Fat Lazy Cab IR specifically you used for the rhythm tone
I used the Boogieman and Orange Crush IR's with the Psycho B tone
XXL And Recto Fire with the Serpent tone. I think I had the balance 39% L for the first and a little over 30% R for the second in NadIR.

The Windows download appears to download, but gives me the filename "Thermionik%20-%20Modern%20Classics%201%20Setup". Can I simply add a .exe extension to make the installer functional or does this need to be corrected on Kazrog's site?

The Windows download appears to download, but gives me the filename "Thermionik%20-%20Modern%20Classics%201%20Setup". Can I simply add a .exe extension to make the installer functional or does this need to be corrected on Kazrog's site?

Sounds like a browser issue. If you are using Internet Explorer, downloads will not work properly. Please use Chrome or Firefox.

Renaming the file to .exe *may* work, but not if the download didn't complete.

You're right - I was trying to download the update while at the day job and we are still tied to IE there. Using Firefox once I got home worked as expected.

But oddly, only that file was affected. I tried downloading other titles in my user area (Recabinet 3 and 4, KClip) and they downloaded correctly.

You're right - I was trying to download the update while at the day job and we are still tied to IE there. Using Firefox once I got home worked as expected.

But oddly, only that file was affected. I tried downloading other titles in my user area (Recabinet 3 and 4, KClip) and they downloaded correctly.

Yeah, that's not surprising. They're distributed through different servers. Migrating everything to the Amazon S3 cloud.

I purchased the Modern Classics I bundle yesterday and am absolutely blown away by its sound quality. Until now I used ReValver 4 and (mainly) TSE X50 2.4.0 for Peavey 5150/6505 rhythm guitar sounds but the Thermionik Psycho A model pounds both of them into dust. Definitely the best amp sim plug-in I ever had! I will soon buy the Modern Classics II package to get my hands on the Soldano SLO-100 and Marshall JCM800 models.

Oh yes, just played with the Marshall sim for about an hour and I gotta say it's really amazing. Combined with a tubescreamer with drive to 0 to tighten it up it sounds very in-your-face and the picking attack feels really great and tight. Excellent for thrash!

> TSE 808 v2.0.1 (Drive to 0, Tone 4, Volume 5)
>> Thermionik Marshland 800 (Gain 6, Bass 6, Mid 3, Treble 4.5, Presence 8)
>>> NadIR loaded with Rosen Digital Mesa Rectifier Cab
>>>> Waves C4 with just a little low-mid compression
>>>>> awesome!

Last edited:
I purchased the Modern Classics I bundle yesterday and am absolutely blown away by its sound quality. Until now I used ReValver 4 and (mainly) TSE X50 2.4.0 for Peavey 5150/6505 rhythm guitar sounds but the Thermionik Psycho A model pounds both of them into dust. Definitely the best amp sim plug-in I ever had! I will soon buy the Modern Classics II package to get my hands on the Soldano SLO-100 and Marshall JCM800 models.

Wow! That's is quite a statement to say it pounds into dust what has been the "standard" in 5150 amp emulation for years. Is there any chance you can post comparison clips?

Well, okay, perhaps I got a bit too enthusiastic and my choice of words was a little bit exaggerated. TSE X50 is still a great plug-in, of course, but in comparison Thermionik Psycho A wins. It has better picking attack, a more direct sound and somehow just feels better. There already are several very good comparison videos on youtube and I really don't feel the need to embarrass myself and showcase my pitiful playing and mixing skills. ;-)

That's cool. I appreciate your honesty. One of the other things I have noticed is a lot of the comparison videos utilize TSE-808.

I think that is ironic.

Regardless, I say go for whatever brings you inspiration!!! \m/

I have only found videos comparing Recabinet 4 and TSE X50 2.3. Do you guys know any videos comparing the newer versions Thermionik 5 and TSE X50 2.4 ? I know there was a sound improvement from TSE 2.3 to 2.4 and I guess it's the same for Thermionik.

Does Thermionik allow for stereo operation? I really like how I can put TSE X50 on a bus and tweak left/right guitars on the same time.