Looking for some southeastern U.S. venue suggestions...

usaprogmusic

ProgPowerGRRL
Since more people frequent this forum...thought I'd ask here.

Suspyre may be doing a full Mid-Atlantic/Southeast U.S. Coast tour in mid- January '09 going from NJ to FL (on their way to Hellstock Festival in St. Petersburg area). We will hit a couple spots on the way down, and then take a different route and hit a couple spots on the way up. Some areas I already have covered (so if you don't see it below, don't panic).

I am looking for some suggestions of venues/help in booking in these areas:
- any good small to medium sized venues that cater to metal in these states?
Virginia - (besides Jaxx in Springfield)
Charlotte or Raleigh, NC
somewhere in South Carolina?
somewhere in Kentucky?
Nashville or Knoxville, TN
Cleveland, OH
Pittsburgh, PA

In South Carolina, I'd check out the Music Farm in Charleston...they've hosted metal shows in the past and are a pretty cool venue. Also, in Spartanburg, there's Ground Zero. I'm not so much a fan of their management, but they have had some great shows in the past (Green Carnation among them).

The venues that are popular for metal bands in Charlotte, NC, are Tremont Music Hall and Amos' South End.

I've been the Volume 11 in Raleigh and it was a pretty cool place.

As far as Nashville, I'm going to see Sigh at a venue called The Muse, which seems to play some heavy shit from time to time.

The Handlebar in Greenville, SC is a good venue....I'd definitely come see you guys there (or at Ground Zero in Spartanburg)......

You guys should play in Atlanta. Hoyt could hook you up at one of a number of venues, and we among other bands in the scene here like A Lower Deep and EbS could anchor the show for you....

As far as Nashville, I'm going to see Sigh at a venue called The Muse, which seems to play some heavy shit from time to time.

Dude I saw Rotting Christ, Belphegor, and Immolation there in February. I just happened to be there since I was visiting some colleges in Tennessee so I went to the show last minute. Well the show was great but that venue is horrible

The sound sucks and the venue itself is smaller than Swayzes (if you know where that is, and if anyone else here does, that's SMALL). There was like 70 people there and it was packed in tight. I think the capacity is like 100 people lol

Volume 11 is getting more recognition as a midsized place to play in Raleigh if you figure on drawing 150-400 (i want to say capacity is about 600 or so but I am not entirely sure as i have never asked). Kings x and Pagen Fest drew in the 275-400 range. The overall sound is very impressive for a mid-size.
http://www.myspace.com/volume11tavern
www.volume11tavern.com

The Lincoln Theater after expansion has capacity in the 800's I believe and generally looks to be going with line-ups more geared to the 400+ draw. Does do metal...has Opeth booked upcoming, along with two other tours (Hatebreed & Necrophagist)
http://www.lincolntheatre.com/

These would likely be the two best candidates in Raleigh.

Louisville, KY - Headliners Music Hall - though I never received any feedback from them for the JOP tour
Huntington, WV - The Monkey Bar - they have Testament tomorrow night! :kickass:
Richmond, VA - Alley Katz - as an alternative to Jaxx in DC
Asheville, NC - The Orange Peel - nice looking place; found after I booked Volume 11

Nashville, TN - avoid The MUSE at all costs! Try this place: Exit/In

and I know you didn't ask for Cincinnati, but Annie's looks like a great place to take a show. They never responded to me concerning JOP, but I'm going to keep trying on future tours. Nice central location between Indy, Columbus, and Louisville.

I will send by email a few contact names in the southeast who may be able to help you get into some venues.

and yes, Jon, we have already discussed ATL. We got it covered. :heh:

In Cleveland, Peabody's is pretty much the best venue for small-to-mid-size shows, and the House of Blues is best for higher-profile acts. The sound is pretty stellar at both venues, and Peabody's in particular is highly metal-friendly. There's also the Agora, but from what I've heard, it's a booking nightmare. They have a 2000(?)-capacity theater, and a 500-capacity ballroom.

There are a number of smaller bars/clubs in the area that have hosted low-profile prog/power metal bands in the past, but since I rarely go to local shows these days, I don't really know anything about them. One is the Hi-Fi Night Club, in Lakewood. There is also the Phantasy Concert Club, also in Lakewood.

I'd love to see Suspyre come here. They were great at Chicago Powerfest last year.