Looking Outside or Inside??

You can´t look outside or inside without looking inside or outside ???!!! It is one of these mystical paradoxons ... ;)

i didn't understand if we're talkin' about the meaning of that line or the way we relate to the world.
except for "fading beauty", in my opinion the whole song refers to ideal concepts, feelings, not to the childish idea about where to put our attention when relating with other people.
the lyrics are not that clear (or, well, they lead to more than one interpretation), but it goes on with "craving for something", as he now wanted to search for the transposition of the inner side outside, or search inside what usually belongs to the outside.
mhf, won't go on any longer, i think i'm increasing the _pandemonium_ ;)

@garm: "looking outside being inside" sounds good, but isn't that what we usually do?

what about your interpretations?

I usually look inside from the outside...noone will let me in:cry:

As for the interpretation, I'm too shallow to even understand most of todays poems. Even worse when the acctual text is imposible to read:loco:

i'm sorry, but i really can't see what the fuss is all about. the lyrics to anathema 'looking outside/inside' look quite one-way to me, and besides they have next to nothing to do with the question at the start of this thread.

in the song, we are introduced to someone who once was used to take ethics and ther people's feelings into high consideration ("thought it was insane coming down against it all", "didn't want it, didn't need it"), whereas now would do anything just to reach some goals. any goal, really. the outside world goes out of focus, his/her own burning needs resurface and take over, a passive, unassuming life finds new fuel for the fire in a paradigm shift of priorities. i really don't see tons of other coherent meanings unless one likes to speculate over what's left unsaid, but i'll be glad to know everybody's view.

as for the thread, i assume from the cradle wanted to know whether we are accustomed to endlessly contemplate our own belly-buttons or rather scan the horizon for the next big thing. i also assume he's the one most entitled to enlighten the matter, and i'm way too dozy right now anyhow. ;)

rahvin. (compañero, voy a vomitar)

Originally posted by rahvin

as for the thread, i assume from the cradle wanted to know whether we are accustomed to endlessly contemplate our own belly-buttons or rather scan the horizon for the next big thing. i also assume he's the one most entitled to enlighten the matter, and i'm way too dozy right now anyhow. ;)

rahvin. (compañero, voy a vomitar)

from the cradle is an italian dude who has a hard time when its to express himself in english.

maybe it's because i'm an italian dude also, but i really found what he was saying was pretty clear .

rahvin.

eh eh
maybe you took from his phrase the interpretetion you intended, it was a multi fronts phrase. Anyway the approach you made was much better... i think i would scan the horizon for the next big thing... anyway nothing happens in my belly button ;)

Our actual society pays too much value to trivial things as looks, money and materials… we wont take anything to our next passage… life’s that, merely a passage.

mmm since this is a Anathema forum could anyone explain me what "mesmerize" means? Anathema's lyrics are saturated with this word and i dont know what it means, i tried dictionaries but nothing.

methinks society pays too much attention to horizons, too. and i'm certainly not gonna carry them with me to the afterlife. belly-buttons, on the other hand... ;)

mesmerization is similar to hypnosis. i think people know the term because of a e.a. poe short story, but i can't really remember the title right now.

rahvin.

methinks society pays too much attention to horizons, too. and i'm certainly not gonna carry them with me to the afterlife. belly-buttons, on the other hand... ;)

mesmerization is similar to hypnosis. i think people know the term because of a e.a. poe short story, but i can't really remember the title right now.

rahvin.

finally rediscovered this thread, thanks.