Looking to upgrade/go legit

Barnacle

Jun 12, 2009
QLD, Australia
I've been talking to a few people at music stores here about upgrading my current setup.

I have a 2ch Lexicon Lamda, I really want something bigger and with nicer pre's. They suggested Cubase Essential 5 available for $95 for students, and also Full Version of Cubase 5 with the MR816 for around $1599. I have friends at uni with 2626's and they recommend them but they haven't tried other interfaces.

I did download the newest version of repear to trial, but I havn't installed it yet. I'm running a cracked Cubase 4 :erk: and want to go legit and start buying necessities and ditch the wares. I've started buying software lately and spent a few hundred on that. I'll be working alot over the next 4 months (Uni Break) and will have some money saved up.

So I'm looking at getting:
A: MR816 + Cubase 5 ($1599)
B: 2626 + Cubase Essential 5 ($1100)
C: Fastrack Ultra + Cubase Essential 5 ($800)
D: Presonus Firepod + Cubase Essential 5 ($1350)

Anyone got anything to say about these combos? thanks.

Try Reaper out and see if you like it. If you can get used to it, it's a good and cheap investment. For the interface, I can comfortably recommend you the 2626. I've used lots of USB/FW interfaces, including the usual suspects such as the Firepod and 003, and 2626 takes the first place hands down.

Good luck and thumbs up for the right decision!

Yeah, I've been seeing all the upgrades for reaper and it's starting to look like an awesome grab for the price. But I like Cubase and $95 for essential is cheap aswell. I've seen lots of people recommend the 2626 to. Thanks man.

Another +1 to the 2626. But you can get cubase 5 in the states for $300 (education discount). You can get studio for $200 (again education discount).

There is to much crap missing out of essential. I would at least spring for studio.

If you like/ are used to cubase I would do that.