Lordi bring the revolution in Eurovision Song Contest Athens 2006 pt1

Opaltone

New Metal Member
Jun 5, 2004
Patras,greece
Well minutes after the final i am posting that thread in the wrong place but never mind.I am very glad cause a metal band like Lordi from Finland won the eurovision song contest of 2006.It is un believable that a group like them won;even my mom vote them.Besides their weird appearreance they adored by the audience even by the Anna Vissi's fans(they were the biggest part of the crowd in stadium)I believe Lordi they will refresh the contest and more metal bands they will show their commercial personality so in the next years there will be more metal participations.I know that the majority of the metal audience may not accept Lordi as a real metal band but they took 12 points from Greece that means that the greek metal fans(the most of them they are the most conserative people).Without doubt the Lordi give to metal fans the confidence we all need and also they gave to eurovision interest and they show the next step.

@Opaltone: what's your name and age? i'm wondering if i know you. :p

I didn't think Lordi would win, that was one big surprise.

of course "hard rock hallelujah" is not much of a metal song but it symbolized metal music and its fans in the contest. I think it's a nice victory and will bring some fresh blood to the european music industry and the eurovision contest.

congratulations to Lordi, and Finland.

This can't be a bad thing, I am not a huge fan of them, but there is nothing
you can do but cheer when a band like Lordi gets the win, it will change
(hopefully) the pretty pointless eurovision to maybe something with actual
skill and not just bare skin.

Did you notice there was 3 different types of "artists" this year (again), the
bimbo-squad, consisting of one or more female members, singing a pointless
bubble-gum pop song about love and peace (or whatever), then there was
the male singer, singing in their native language, with some actual skill not
just good looks and then there was Lordi.

Lordi won a lot of points on the fact that they were so different from the
others, a lot of young people don't like what the eurovisions are and they
have not changed since the 50s. Hell, the swedish slut was singing a song
fitting for the 50s (or Abba).

Anyway, grats to Lordi for doing something no other finn has done before :worship:

I couldn't care less about Eurovision song contest or Lordi, but this whole hulabaloo is way too ridiculous to be ignored: Finnish media won't stop praising Lordi for decades, fundamentalist Christian hypocrites are screaming about doomsday, the old fans of Eurovision song contest are shocked to death, and some bullshit-sociologists will propably come forth and make stunning analyzes about how this victory will affect Finnish mentality and indefinitely improve the lives of every person around here.

There was an old saying, "Hell freezes before Finland wins the Eurovision song contest". Well, I doubt that happened, but the impact appears to be huge.

-Villain

I just read it in the news. loooooool this is great. Im not a huge fan of them and wont become.
But when a band like them wins this stupid boring eurovision song contest, hell yeah this is just awesome.:kickass:
anyway who is the bigger monster?
0,1020,630340,00.jpg
:puke:
0,1020,630289,00.jpg
:ill:
0,1020,630304,00.jpg
:err:
0,1020,630334,00.jpg
:loco:

I would've voted for Lithuania, just for the guy that freaked out during the solo :D Their song was utterly ridiculous shit, but a good idea for such a stupid contest. WE ARE THE WINNERS OF EUROVISION SONG CONTEST! simple lyrics, nothing complicated and not the usual shit about love etc. but hey, hail finland :D

I think this is really funny :D
Also I remember that Nightwish entered the contest for the Finnish finale, and were voted out in favour of some lame song a few years ago.

I keep on noticing that each year the votes that some countries give for others get more and more "strange", because this vote is by no means anything about taste, it´s about how good emigrants/expatriates/refugees could organize their fellows in order to vote their homecountry. And then they vote far more often than the born citizens of many countries, like for example Switzerland gave most votes to Bosnia-Herzegovina, because the immigrants from that country to Switzerland form a huge minority there. Same with all the intertwining of the Eastern-European countries, and some of them were always giving Russia many points, while others, depending on their history, didn´t give them, such as Poland gave its 12 points to Finland aswell.

It also seemed to be a matter of pride to get Albania to the front of the voting, and first of all through the semi-finale, that was a well organized trip.
Germany gave the most points to Turkey, which a) has been a big holiday destination for many people during the last 20 years, and b) has a huge emigrant community in Germany.
On the other hand, there were countries whose citizens living abroad couldn´t care less, because this whole contest is not of much interest to them, at least not enough to send 50 SMS per person, such as France, Germany or UK, and otherwise no-one would vote for them.

The whole way of voting changed through the internet, I think, also much more information about the contestants could be distributed beforehand. Years ago, everything about this was very oldfashioned, and people would actually call because they liked a song, or not.

PS: the only thing that bothers me a bit is that from now on, whenever I´d say I like metal music from Finland, people would assume it´s stuff like Lordi, which I actually don´t like at all o_O

fireangel said:
Germany gave the most points to Turkey, which a) has been a big holiday destination for many people during the last 20 years, and b) has a huge emigrant community in Germany.

I can assure you that the answer is 'b'. there are about 3 million very well organized Turkish people living in Germany.

Incendo: yes, I know that is the most important factor, but a) plays a role, too. There are loads of partygoers who like that kind of music (I don´t say" middle eastern pop", which has many fans, too, because that would be a bit different - and a bit better - than the Turkish contribution to the contest).

fireangel said:
Incendo: yes, I know that is the most important factor, but a) plays a role, too. There are loads of partygoers who like that kind of music (I don´t say" middle eastern pop", which has many fans, too, because that would be a bit different - and a bit better - than the Turkish contribution to the contest).

well, I don't really think a) has an effect more than (say) %5. when you look at the last 3 years; Turkey joint the contest with a rock song (in 2004), a turkish folk song (2005), and a pop song (this year) and always got the most points from Germany. 3 songs from 3 very different genres, but the score is the same.

I love Lordi.... I think France had a beautiful song with the Cello and all. What I think was the melodi was beautiful. To bad I couldn't hear it, since she couldn't hit a fuckin note...

fireangel said:
I think this is really funny :D
Also I remember that Nightwish entered the contest for the Finnish finale, and were voted out in favour of some lame song a few years ago.
Note: Sleepwalker is a lame song. :)
@salmy: That swedish slut was probably loaning rather the 70´s than the 50´s. :D Beside that I mostly second your comments. That means you get cake.

I watched both, the semifinal and final. In the semifinals I voted for Iceland and in the final I voted for Norway. Iceland´s song was quite catchy and funny and Norway´s song had probably one good part (actually a measure) and some good looking blondes, whose dresses were human size.
As some on you know, I am not into this nationally driven celebrating like during the sport events, but seeing Lordi winning for Finland after 40 years of no luck was a double vodka shot straight into the vein. Not even now I´m going tattoo a Finnish flag into my forehead to celebrete Lordi´s victory but I´ll drink a beer.