LTD EC-1000 + 5150 + Mesa OS

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
Here's a tone I recorded this summer, using LTD EC-1000 (EMG 81 pups), OD-820, 5150 (SED power tubes) and Mesa OS cab. It's the rythm channel with fairly high presence settings. I recorded with a 57, it may be a bit muddy but has a good grind to me (57 was aimed at the joint between the dustcap and external cone).
I recorded new things since and I get much better result with the 57 not that far from the dustcap center. Will post the results soon.

Sounds pretty monstrous man.

Only criticism is that it has a bit of that 'blanketed', distant sound, but that could be due to anything. Some EQ would probably sort it all out in the mix. The important thing is that it has a good grind and 'whuccka whuccka'.

Great stuff.

Thanks Ermz, actually I think the "blanketed" sound comes from the mic position (very edge of the dustcap) that can be improved. I get much better results now.
Should be fixed with a bit of EQ. It's funny how the rythm channel sounds different from the lead one. It's very tight in the lows and a pretty different attack ! I dig it.

I always found the Lead channel to sound a bit tighter, and 'sharper' in the high mids, if that makes any sense. I liked the idea of using the Lead for rhythms and Rhythm for leads on records.

The Rhythm channel always had more of that 'cliche' 5150 fullness to me. Can be a bit muddy at times, but it's a great characteristic to mix into a guitar sound.

yes lead channel is sharper, amazing for thrash/melodic dm/metalcore/fast stuff :)

When I had JJ tubes in the power section, my 5150 sounded amazingly smooth but a bit too dark to fit in a metal mix I guess, now with the SED tubes it's WAY different, the 5150 roars (not as warm as JJs) with more scooped midrange and agressive high mids. Maybe I can post some samples of my "JJ time", the clips sound great but very smooth/round/warm for a 5150.

That comparison would be great. I know embarrassingly little about the differences between different tube types in an amp (perhaps because I only owned a tube amp for about 2 months in my life). Can definitely see how the Rhythm channel would become more useful with more aggressive tubes in the power section though.

Yeah what tubes do you use in your 5150 ?

Indeed JJ tubes are very different from the SEDs. I mean not a small difference but really it changes the overall tone balance of the amp. SED are really crunchy, with present high mids, really nice grit and tight gain. JJ are a lot smoother in the 2-3 khz range, less cut with more low mids and warmth. I have to admit I really enjoy both but SED in the 5150 seem to bring back the original character of the amp. Ruby tubes than can be found in new 6505s are cool too, they come close to the SED from what I heard.

Nice tone Sly, I dig it, but a bit dark...I'm guessing due to mic position.

I'm really interested to hear your tones with the mic closer to the dustcap. I used to get such horrible tones using this method, but have had much better luck lately. I think it was a combination of presence/high settings and preamp gain (on the preamp, not the amp), that is key here for me.

-Joe

Hey Joe, will post some tones this weekend ! Do you have new ones ?
You're right with the 5150 you have to pay a lot of attention to high/presence and gain settings for a good tone. The mic position depends on the pickup too, with EMG it tends to get fizzy quicker, with passive pickups I go closer to the dustcap center.

Hey Joe, will post some tones this weekend ! Do you have new ones ?
You're right with the 5150 you have to pay a lot of attention to high/presence and gain settings for a good tone. The mic position depends on the pickup too, with EMG it tends to get fizzy quicker, with passive pickups I go closer to the dustcap center.

No, nothing worthy of posting yet! I don't have a 5150 anymore unfortunately. I took a little break from playing/gear hunting in the past few months.

I was experimenting with my Mesa F-100, which I recently sold. I'm going to pick up either an old 2 channel Dual Rectifier or a Soldano Avenger. Clips to follow!

Yep, totally agree on the pickup comment. It's really a struggle to get right with that amp, but is rewarding when you do!

-Joe