Luna Mortis' Mary Zimmer on the Old "Chicks in Metal" Conundrum and the Maidens of Me

BlackRoseMetalHeart

Metal Mistress
Feb 4, 2006
Baltimore, MD - USA
www.myspace.com
From NoiceCreep.com
http://www.noisecreep.com/2009/05/21/luna-mortis-mary-zimmer-on-the-old-chicks-in-metal-conundrum/

Madison, Wisconsin's Luna Mortis, who released their Century Media debut 'The Absence' this year, don't fall under the typical "female-fronted" metal tag. That's due in part to vocalist Mary Zimmer's deftness, agility and God-given ability.

"Since our music is pretty aggressive, and since I've got more of a classic metal way of singing combined with the screaming, not too many people pigeonhole us in with the stereotypical group of 'female-fronted metal bands,'" the vocalist told Noisecreep. "We've got great musicians who get a lot of attention on their own, so I think that most people know just from listening that there's no gimmick involved with me being the front person and that we actually play well. I hold my own with the guys in the metal scene and I've been able to avoid getting a lot of 'chick in a metal band' flack."

Zimmer's secrets for girls who wanna rock out with their, well, XX chromosomes out? She said, "You have to bring it hard on stage. If you've got the talent to back it up, metal fans will respect you, regardless of your gender. I told myself, when I first started playing, that I'd have to be just as good, if not better musically, than a lot of the guys in the metal scene if I wanted people to take me seriously and earn respect. I make it a point to practice and be a great singer and front person so people can see that the fact that I'm female has nothing to do with it. I can stand up against the guys and be counted. So far it's worked."

But Zimmer has worked her female attributes, appearing in her label's "Maidens of Metal: The Girls of Century Media" 2009, limited edition calendar. "I'm glad it got the band a ton of great exposure," Zimmer said, somewhat diplomatically. "It was nice to have a lot of the female musicians on the label promoted in one place. I feel special since the guys didn't get to be in a calendar!" Femininity has its privileges.