Fullangr

Loitering Dwarf
Mar 28, 2008
Birmingham
Lunatica - New Shores
Napalm Records - NPR 266 - 2 March 2009
By Ellie McGee

new_shores.jpg

First things first: it’s not relevant to (most) of you, but this album really does contain a stupid number of ‘anti-piracy’ voiceovers and interruptions. Sadly for Napalm Records, the effect isn’t so much anti-piracy as anti-ever-reviewing-another-Napalm-promo-ever-again-if-I-can-fucking-help-it. That said, I’ve got through it twice without killing or breaking anything, so let’s review it shall we?

Second things second: New Shores doesn’t really know what it is. It’s apparently ‘melodic symphonic metal’ which describes it about as well as ‘strange and vaguely traumatising’ describes the average Psyopus album, in that it’s a perfectly valid description, but it somehow misses the point. Yes, there are melodic and symphonic elements. Yes, it can loosely be classed as metal. However, none of that has anything to do with why this album has started to grow on me, despite the voiceovers; it’s appealing because it manages to be both incredibly, horribly catchy and almost entirely forgettable. Put it on, wail along with the Eurovisionesque choruses, then put some Sepultura on, safe in the knowledge you won’t have ‘Into The Dissonance’ stuck in your head for days. Best of both worlds!

I honestly didn’t remember a single track or chorus on this album when I dug it out again to finally get this review done, but none of that matters when you’re actually listening to it. Go sing the choruses lustily at the sky (I’m sorely tempted to, but it’s cold); but like the very best nights out, don’t expect to remember them the next morning.

Official Lunatica Website
Official Lunatica MySpace
Official Napalm Records