Lykathea Aflame - Elvenfris

Krilons Resa

Jerry's married?!
Nov 7, 2002
Inside dorian's gym bag.
Okay. I revisited this gem last night after not listening to it for about 8 months or so. HOLY SHIT that was a mistake; for forgetting about it that is. This has got to be THE BEST death/grind album of all-time...at least in my humble opinion. The atmosphere is superb and the drummer is NOT human. Definitely one of the best drumming performances I have ever heard. I have no idea why I neglected this album for so long because I always have worshipped it.

The reason which pushed me to listen to it again was that I read that they are currently putting together the next album under another new name; Lykathé. The name before Lykathea Aflame was Appalling Dawn which they released one album under which was also excellent but nowhere near as ball-breaking as Elvenfris.

I do not think I have seen this band mentioned on this forum before. Any other fans?

Sure, they've been mentioned several times. I'm like you in that I haven't listened to it in months. I dunno, I think I was all NILE-ed out and needed a break from blasting brutal blargu metal.

The thing I remember about Elvenfris is that the production was terrible, and that the overall album was pretty disjointed. However, it's certainly about time to pull it off the shelf and give it another try...I've been in the mood for some Nile lately, so I think I'll try Elvenfris instead.

I can see some of the Nile references. Also, early Cryptopsy type spasctic rythm changes all over the place. It has a persona about it though which is totally unlike most DM imho.

It was pretty good, yeah. I didn't like the vocals too much and that last track was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy too long, but it was a decent album.

I traded mine away though, for Until Death Overtakes Me - Symphonies I & II