Lyrics with underlying meanings - need help!

Scytheman

dissident aggressor
Dec 4, 2001
sweden
www.urkraft.tk
Hola dudes and dudettes! I need your help.

As a part of a literature course I'm taking at the university I'm "forced" to do a presentation of any subject I desire. As a music maniac I'm of course going for an in-depth analysis of music lyrics and their underlying messages/meanings. I have a list of about 10 songs I have to mention right now but I thought perhaps you could give some more tips. Any musical style is ok. From pop to black metal.

Either leave your suggestions here or e-mail me at stefanlejon@hotmail.com

It's kind of urgent so please answer a.s.a.p. if you want to help this poor guy out :)

Thanx!

I think metallica's _ride the lightning_ would be apt. It is pretty easy too....most of the songs have a lot of "in depth" meaning ..... and all the songs deal with a similar issue...an aberrant form of a concept album.......

Most Tool songs. Especially from Aenima.

Also, Reflection by Tool is a good one to break down.

Lots of sites out there trying to break Tool songs down because they are so in depth and well written.

try lyrics from:
Mettallica
Testament
Flotsam and Jetsam
Opeth
Agalloch
Coroner
Helloween (later era, like Dark Ride or Better than Raw)
Soundgarden
Rollins Band

Opeth's albums in general run as concept, and therefore have really good in depth stories, particularly my arms your hearse and still life. Dream THeater's scenes from a memory also has a really long story - album long, and its pretty crazy dealing with reincarnation of two people involved in a murder/suicide. pretty crazy. hmm, dark tranquility has a lot of goo dsongs that stand alone. iced earth's last album, horror show, deals with certain monsters, mythical beasts and whatnot. i dont know if youve seen the omen, but that is a fuckin eerie movie that iced earth write a song about - (Damien) and thats just awesome. regardless, good luck bud. you have any questions feel free to ask em
ill help if i can
rock on

Transatlantic - 'We All Need Some Light Now'
Spock's Beard - 'Goodbye To Yesterday'
Alice Cooper - 'Take It Like A Woman'
Helloween - 'Save Us'
Skyclad - 'Little Miss Take'
Shadow Gallery - 'Christmas Day'
Ambeon - 'Cold Metal'
Nightwish - 'Nymphomaniac Fantasia'
Kreator - 'Golden Age'
Steve Vai - 'Fuck Yourself'

AC/DC are the masters of lyrical Double Entendre!
Songs like "Have A Drink on Me", "You Shook Me All Night Long", "Big Balls", etc...
Oh and check out some more of the hair metal bands... Motley Crue, KISS, Whitesnake (slip of the tongue), Shoot Def Leppard's "Armageddon It", "Let's Get Rocked", and "Rocket" are all great examples of Double Entendre, in my opinion.
Good luck :)

~Sh0k~

Thanx for all the tips guys! "Ride the Lightning" and "Sober" at least have been added to my rooster! Gonna think about more to add. Thanx again for your help!

I agree about Dark Tranquillity
Songs like 'At A Loss for Words', 'The Dividing Line', 'The Emptiness from which I Fed', 'Hedon', 'Tongues' have great lyrics...

Demons & Wizards have great lyrics too, that might be interesting to analyze. Try 'Heaven Denied', 'Gallows Pole' or 'My Last Sunrise'...

Blind Guardian have great complicated lyrics too. Probably too complicated for me to Analyze (I read the Silmarillion twice and I still don't fully understand NIME, which is based on it). If you'de like this kind of stuff, try songs like 'Bright Eyes', 'Thorn' or 'Born in a Mourning Hall'...

My Dying Bride are great too when it comes to lyrics. I have only one of their albums, so I don't know much, but 'Sear Me III' is a beatiful short song that might be interesting to analyze, and not too hard.

If you want easier stuff, and not really Metal, you might like to try The Offspring. I really like a lot of their lyrics (not those that they usually play on MTV though). Try songs like 'Have You Ever', 'Staring at the Sun', 'Crossroads'...

I think that should be enough.
Hope it's not too late...