M-Audio BX8(A) situation!

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hey guys, I just got back from the music store with a pair of BX8s that I thought were BX8As, they were labelled as BX8As and the box said BX8As, but when I realized they looked totally different from the picture, I checked the serial number on the box and on the speakers and they don't match, plus mine have the extra switches on the back that they removed from the BX8A. Obviously they sold someone a pair of BX8As at one point in the BX8 box and sold me the BX8s in the BX8A box.

So my question to you is are these worth keeping? I don't have much monitor experience and I based my purchase off of recommendations from here and other sources... I'm going to go back to the store and try and get a bunch of money taken off of them, I paid $439+tax and that was the brand new price, and I got the floor models which are scratched up on the sides and have been sitting on the shelves FOREVER apparently since they are BX8s.

Would it be wise to try and snag these for like $225-$250 for the pair and keep them or should I give them back and get them to order me a brand new pair of BX8As for the price I actually paid?

Have you had a chance to use the original BX8? What makes the BX8a better? From what I can figure out, the only difference is the visual appearance and the fact that the woofers are kevlar on the BX8as... The BX8 though has additional switches on the back for 3 position low frequency roll-off, a mid boost switch, a 2 position high frequency dampening switch, and a 3 position acoustic attenuation switch that is supposed to compensate for different room placements... I know these switches aren't like be-all end-all solutions to using budget monitors or mixing in a poorly treated room, but it's better to have the option than not no? Like I said, I'm really new to this so this is all I've found out through looking around online... By all means, I will take first hand experience over anything in the specs!