Mac Pro upgrade question

halcyonwayband@aol.com

Guitars - Halcyon Way
Nov 9, 2003
Hey all, I've got a 2007 MBP Dual Core 2.2 with 4gb of RAM. I'm running PT 9 via a Digi 003, and use a pretty fair amount of plugins - Komplete, Reason, EZDrummer, Soundtoys Bundle, etc. I've got some sessions where I'm hitting a wall on my machine and running out of CPU power, and messing with the playback Engine and such isn't solving it. These sessions are glitching out and stopping playback or record, even after I've bounced some of the Instrument tracks down to audio and then made the Instrument tracks Inactive. Also getting error -6086 about losing connection with my 003 on these sessions....which could be a FW card going bad in the 003 but I'm thinking it's not, since it only appears to happen on the same sessions I have CPU issues with.

Took it to Atlanta Pro Audio and they basically felt that I was just at the limit of what my machine was now capable of. So I'm thinking about upgrading to a Mac Pro.

I was looking at the 8-core Nehalem with 6gb of memory, and a 2nd internal drive for audio only. I was also told that the 6-core 3.33 Westmere was faster for audio. Prices were pretty similar for those two machines....about $4000.

But I found out that a friend of mine has a quad core Nehalem at 2.8ghz, with 6GB RAM and a 1TB drive that he wants to sell, it's less than a year old. So I'm thinking that I could save a good $1500 by picking that up from him, as a refurb of this model is only $2100 direct from Apple. Plus I know it's been taken care of. I'd just have to add a 2nd internal drive and be ready to go.

Would I likely see a big jump in performance going from the dual core 2.2 MBP I currently have to the Quad Core 2.8? The MBP has been a horse for me for almost 5 years now. It's my first Mac so I haven't got any experience really in upgrading to a newer machine.....I would be uber pissed if I did a deal, and then didn't get any more performance out of it. So I'd appreciate you guys' opinion....thanks!

I had a similar situation a few months ago. I went from the same MBP as you to a 2011 2.7 imac. It was night and day! I previously had a few issues with doing heavy beat detective on sessions. Now I can Beat Detect the hell out of it. put as many plugins as I want, never had a single issue since. Not a mac pro, but I hope my experience helps.

Same here. Went from a 2008 MBP to an 8 core Mac Pro about 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. I'm afraid I can't comment on your friend's machine and whether or not it's a good investment as I have no experience with the new processors, but I can certainly attest that the 8 core Xeon machines from a couple of years ago are top notch and I noticed a huge increase in performance from my MBP so I wouldn't expect anything less.
In fact I distinctly remember when I upgraded to Logic 9 I tried to open the included Lily Allen tune on my MBP and I kept crashing, but my Mac Pro opened it like it was child's play.

Cool, thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback! So far haven't worked out a price that works for us both but will see what's up. Glad to know I don't need to grab an 8-core.....

The difference between Core2Duo and Quad core is pretty big. And a RAM upgrade will make things run smoother as well. You could also grab a new 27" iMac. I'm running Logic on an iMac quad core i5 with 12 gigs of RAM with loads of instruments and plugs with no issues.

I bought a 2008 model quad 2.8 after reaching the ceiling on my 2.26 MBP. The difference not only in horse power, but also in stability is mind blowing. Really have no idea how I coped with using a Laptop for this stuff for so long.

i had an '07 mbp (well, i still do), then upgraded to a 12-core mac pro.

they're all fucking fast, but (one of) the best things about them, especially for production? they're practically silent. my head rests less than a meter away from it when i'm sleeping, and i can't hear a thing from it.

also, no more CPU clock scaling when it gets too hot (i'd be tempted to say your issues atm stem from that).

thanks,