mackie onyx 800r or Profire 2626

ronnan

Tactical Header
Apr 14, 2006
Ireland
www.myspace.com
Hey dudes,

Anybody got any experience with the mackie onyx 800r? I have a chance to snap one up at a pretty good price this weekend. My orignal plan was to get the profire but since this poped up im stuck for choice..

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Ronan

Do you need an interface or just 8 preamps? The Mackie is a preamp with digital outs, but you can't hook it up to a computer by itself.

The pre's on the 800 are great, but the 400/800/1200 onyx no longer have driver support from Mackie. Lots of hate on their forum for this. The Vista driver work without issue in Win7 for the moment. If you're going to use it over AES or ADAT it would be fine going forward though.

I've got both. They're really different boxes with different uses though. If you're just looking for an 8 channel preamp to use via ADAT then I'd certainly go for the Onyx over the Profire though. Way more features and overall I like the preamps better than the Profire pre's (shootout in my sig)

Ah, i see..I would need to hook it straight to a computer at this point in time as an interface..Guess that kind of makes my decision easier...haha..Profire it is so:headbang:

Thanks for the replies guys..

Ronan