Mackie Onyx series interface + Windows 7?

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
Hi Guys

Just wandering if anyone rocking a 400F or 800F has successfully run it on a PC with Windows 7 yet?

Have there been many/ any reported issues with the driver support for these products with Win7? I know that I have not had much luck running my 400F on anything above XP SP2, but I now realise that I need not only a new PC, but one that I can dedicate to audio (production and composition), though would feel silly running (if even possible) a quad core with XP SP2.

I'm running a 1200F with windows 7, have had some minor issues with it, mostly from windows trying to set the playback to 192khz which is easily fixed, sometimes though it will pop up saying that the device is in use and analog out 1 and 2 will be muted when I launch cubase 5 or reason/fl studio, etc. Seems to be from a process that runs called "windows audio device graph isolation" I don't know why this process starts or what purpose it serves as I don't see anything involving a graph. I generally just switch it to a generic asio or directx driver in whatever host I'm using then back to the onyx asio driver and it seems to work fine. These issues don't happen all the time, so it may be some software I have installed causing the issue. Also from time to time the buffer seems to die in cubase 5 causing a strange distorted noise, which goes away when I minimize then maximize cubase 5 again, this happens only with very low buffer settings with a lot of audio being recorded simultaneously such as drums. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all though in situations where it has happened before. I'm also not on the retail release, still on RC1 so unsure about the final market version as I'm not installing it till I finish the current project I'm on.

So while this all sounds quite annoying the issues that pop up take 5 or 6 seconds to fix and I wouldn't say it is causing me enough grief to switch back to xp or get a different interface. So I'd assume you may run into similar problems with a 400f, afaik there is only an 800r which is not an interface just a rack of pre's which I had before I got the 1200f, so you shouldn't have any issues with an 800r running into something else via ADAT. If they are still supporting the 400f though they may make a proper win7 driver for it.

wait you said that your running the mackie 1200F with WINDOWS 7

if this is true please let me know, and how has it been? because i am sitting here on windows vista waiting to update