pops with firebox in windows 7 - need help

Sep 15, 2008
My Presonus Firebox worked GREAT with XP with my Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 with 2GB RAM.
Some days ago, i switched to Windows 7, i installed the latest firebox drivers for windows 7 and all correct.
It works...BUT i get intermittent pops all the time...

for example, if i open a song in windows media player, i pick the window and i begin to move it like crazy, i get pops and pops and more pops...

someone had this problem? how could i solve it?

Have a look at this and see if it's relevant:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;981613&x=10&y=14

Also I have seen before that sometimes switching to legacy firewire drivers can fix this issue. (You can choose which firewire driver Windows 7 uses in the device manager).

Firewire has always been hit and miss for me, my firebox works fine on my Windows 7 machine (thank god) but I had to buy a new firewire card for my laptop before it would work.

Have a look at this and see if it's relevant:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;981613&x=10&y=14

Also I have seen before that sometimes switching to legacy firewire drivers can fix this issue. (You can choose which firewire driver Windows 7 uses in the device manager).

Firewire has always been hit and miss for me, my firebox works fine on my Windows 7 machine (thank god) but I had to buy a new firewire card for my laptop before it would work.

thanks for your quick answer man.;)
i read that article and i´m gonna install that hotfix update to see if it solves my problem.

if i wanted to test first to change to legacy driver, which must i update? i have two...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11380684/1_2.jpg

more opinions?

You need to right click on the firewire device you are using in that picture (it should be the Texas Instruments one) and select properties. Then select the driver tab and then update driver. Select 'browse my computer for driver software', then 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'. Then select the legacy driver, should be '1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)'.

Hope this helps!

You need to right click on the firewire device you are using in that picture (it should be the Texas Instruments one) and select properties. Then select the driver tab and then update driver. Select 'browse my computer for driver software', then 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'. Then select the legacy driver, should be '1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)'.

Hope this helps!

ok, i´ll try it with Texas one.
what would you recommend to try first? the microsoft hotfix or update firewire to legacy?

Try the legacy driver first, it should be the same one used in XP so if your firebox worked in XP it may well fix it. You need to make sure you're firebox is actually using the Texas INstruments chipset for firewire though, do you have more than one firewire port? One on a PCI card perhaps?

Try the legacy driver first, it should be the same one used in XP so if your firebox worked in XP it may well fix it. You need to make sure you're firebox is actually using the Texas INstruments chipset for firewire though, do you have more than one firewire port? One on a PCI card perhaps?

yes, my firebox worked without pops and clips in XP. and yes, firebox must be using the texas chipset because if i disable texas my firebox doesn´t work (red light).
i´ll try the legacy driver when i am at home and i´ll post here the results.
if it doesn´t, i´d try the hotfix update, correct?

Yeah, although if you are using the TI chipset then I would hope the legacy drivers would fix it.

If neither the drivers or the hotfix work then I would be out of ideas I am afraid, normally the answer is to get a card with a Texas Instruments chipset, but you already have that sorted!

hahaha. yes...i´m using the texas chipset how you see in my picture.
i´ll update to legacy driver and i wait the problem is solved...
thanks for the help man.
tomorrow i´ll post if it works...

problem not solved...
first i put the driver to legacy...nothing.
second i installed the microsoft hotfix...nothing.

listening the same clips/pops...

some solution?

Sorry to hear that.

Since you mentioned you get clicking when you move the media player window about have you tried turning all display enhancements off e.g Windows Aero?

You can do this by going into display properties, advanced settings, performance settings and then select 'Adjust for best performance'.

Not sure this would have any effect but may be worth a try.

Sorry to hear that.

Since you mentioned you get clicking when you move the media player window about have you tried turning all display enhancements off e.g Windows Aero?

You can do this by going into display properties, advanced settings, performance settings and then select 'Adjust for best performance'.

Not sure this would have any effect but may be worth a try.

nah, same problem.
for example, if i maximize/minimize a window i get clips...
thanks for your help, i need more opinions to solve it.

someone could help?