Made in Hong Kong (And Various Other Places)

News from Nightwish.com:

NIGHTWISH: "MADE IN HONG KONG (AND VARIOUS OTHER PLACES)" MCD + DVD

New Nightwish-release is out at March 2009. MCD was recorded during still continuing "Dark Passion Play World Tour". Release include also bonus-DVD with material from Israel to South-America, directed by Ville Lipiäinen. Tracklist of MCD will be published later.

The kitchen staff at Nuclear Blast say it'll be out on Fri, March 6. which would be five days before Nw start their European tour on March 11. Officially there's no confirmed release date yet.

Official release date for the U.S. is March 31st.

Here's the tracklisting for the CD:
1. Bye Bye Beautiful (live)
2. Whoever Brings The Night (live)
3. Amaranth (live)
4. The Poet And The Pendulum (live)
5. Sahara (live)
6. The Islander (live)
7. Last Of The Wilds (live)
8. 7 Days To The Wolves (live)
9. Escapist
10. While Your Lips Are Still Red
11. Cadence Of Her Last Breath (Demo)

DVD includes a tour documentary and the 3 DPP music videos: "Amaranth", "The Islander", and "Bye Bye Beautiful".

Personally, I would have preferred the video of "While Your Lips Are Still Red" rather than yet another audio release. Oh well.

My mom just came back from Hong Kong and she got me the new Nightwish CD/DVD. The live CD sounds pretty good. Not as crisp as End of an Era and it's pretty short for a live album (as it only covers the Dark Passion Play songs), but it's still awesome. Not much can be said about the bonus tracks, as many of us have already heard them, but the demo version of "Cadence of Her Last Breath" is a surprise. Marco should sing this live one of these days.

As for the DVD, the documentary is rather short. The film was intentionally made to look grainy. You get mostly commentary from Tuomas (in Finnish with English subtitles) and Anette (in English with Finnish subtitles), while the rest of the band spends most of the film playing Uno and chugging Jägers. This documentary is very recent, too, as YouTube clips of Anette walking out of the Belo Horizonte show appear before she explains what happened (it was an annoying smoke machine that interfered with her breathing). Throughout the documentary, you get to know how the band interacts with each other through a grueling 40-country world tour.

Also included in the DVD are the three music videos for Dark Passion Play.

Overall, it's a great addition for any Nightwish fan. Non-fans will want to pick up the other albums first, though.

I've looked into this release...
not something very interesting, considering the band already had the full documentary up for a few days for those who wanted to see it without buying the whole thing.

I would be a lot better had they had Anette singing older songs along with DDP songs...she's great on Nemo and Wish I Had an Angel, and especially Dark Chest of Wonders...i don't see why they'd leave it out like that =(

Oh well...not worth it in my opinion...

i don't see why they'd leave it out like that =(

The answer to that (according to an interview with Tuomas): the album was sorta "thrown together" by the record label. In Europe, if you're doing a tour, you need to have an album of some kind to promote. Since DPP is nearly 2 years old, they had to have something to promote the tour with. So the idea for MIHK came about. Because they had to release it in such an amount of time, I think there was an issue with certain rights to certain songs from the former record labels and that's why there are no "old-era" songs. But then again, as this album was compiled to promote the DPP tour, it makes sense that all the live tracks are DPP ones.

I'm sure we'll get a proper DVD all in good time. :D

The DVD itself was not so bad, it was a nice look inside the daily ups and downs of Nightwish on this tour; Anette's feelings towards her overwhelming fame, the "Belo Horizonte incident" was addressed, and all the while we watched an edge-of-your-seat competition of Drunken Uno. :lol:

And for those who didn't have the videos in some official capacity (like myself), it was nice to get those too.

I thought it was worth the money, but then again, I do have to have a complete Nightwish discography, right? ;)

The pristine versions of The Escapist and While Your Lips Are Still Red are worth the price of admission.

Jim

Has anyone else here picked up this album?

I did and watched the doc last night. Like others, I am disappointed that there is no old material, because we see clips of Anette singing Tarja-era songs, including "Wishmaster" (!)

Some thoughts on the docmentary:

* Hate the grain. WTF is that for?
* Did Tuomas suffer a burn or something? For a guy in his early 30s hes got a rough complexion. Reminds me of Hetfield, and we know why his face is messed up. (Montreal, 1992. Pyro pot. Hetfield Flambe)
* Drunken Uno. Holy cow did Marco get fucked up. Between the booze, belching and farting, that bus must have smelled like my old dorm suite. :)
* South American fans really need to learn to back off. They can be entertaining (American fans have adopted the singalong to Rush's "YYZ" at live shows after seeing the 'Rush in Rio' DVD) but they clearly go over the line.
* Tuomas sounded burned out and in real need of a break. I wonder if he would take back some of his statements now. His support for Anette was a good thing.
* Jukka's play style makes the old drummer in me crazy. So much wasted movement and energy flailing around like Animal from the Muppet's Show.

Tuomas' face looks like acne scars to me, could be wrong though.
I enjoyed parts of the DVD, especially the Anette interview I liked the way she didn't shy away from any topics and her general adorable behaviour.
Not going to lie, I didn't like the CD that much, it sounded weird, I don't like to think the worse but I'm sure they must've done some tampering with it. I go to youtube if I want to listen to it live rather than the CD.