Made it onto the top 30 Canadian Metal albums of all time!

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Hey gang,

A client of mine recently mentioned that an album I recorded back in the summer of 2002 made it onto Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles top 30 list of all-time best Canadian metal records.

Honestly, it kind of shocked me, as my production skills back then weren't anywhere close to where they are today, but apparently, I managed to capture a vibe.

The songwriting, IMO, was brilliant. Black Metal, but with some soul ...and the band deserves the recognition. I'm proud to have played a small part in the making of the record.

Unfortunately, after a follow up album in 2004, I had a falling out with certain members of the group, and we haven't worked together since.

Here it is, at number 28, "Against the Seasons" by Woods of Ypres:
http://www.bravewords.com/news/164836
(there's a youtube audio clip in the article as well... my favourite track on the record)

...and some pictures from those sessions. This was when I was back in my old 'mind your head' studio with a really low ceiling!
n640581080_2482046_6737.jpg

n640581080_2482056_195.jpg

n640581080_2482061_2120.jpg

...The old control room
n640581080_2482059_1062.jpg

Peavey VMP-2 tube preamps. Nice, but then I discovered API!!!
n640581080_2482047_7288.jpg

n640581080_2482088_501.jpg

Group shot, on our way to McDonalds.

....and here's the full list:
http://www.bravewords.com/features/1001012

Congrats Glenn, not a big fan of Woods personally, not my kinda BM but they surely were quality for that style. Here's to many more recognized productions from you sir!

Thanks very much, guys!

I would have been 32 back then.... still VERY green when it came to production, and I'm not sure if the current release has any of my mixes or not... (they're close though.. reverbs/delays & massively multitracked clean vox seem to still be in place.) Guitars were pretty sludgy/fizzy, and the kick was just awful as I was still putting quarters on the skin & the drummer just couldn't get into it, so we had to track with a dull sounding kick. (I found out about drumagog about 3 months after finishing the record.... and did release a 'fixed kick' remix of "A meeting place in Time" online with the band's permission.)

Anyway, the basic elements are still there. We tracked the drums on my DW kit, guitars were a Mesa Dual Recto into a custom built 2X12 with 100 watt celestions into a Vintech Dual72, bass was direct into Vintech. Vox were recorded on a Rode NTK.

As I recall, we spent about 2 weeks on the project in the middle of August & it was hotter than hell out. I think that's where the title came from....

I'm a flight-sim geek at heart. I was heavily into the online game "Warbirds" for years.... I was part of the "Spectre" squadron, hence the name "Spectre Sound." If you look closely, you can see the F16 stick on the right and a Pro Throttle on the left.

These days, I play a lot of Battlefield 2 & Bad Company 2, but the pedals still get used for strafing & flight control, although the Flight Models in those games leave a lot to be desired.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "produced." I recorded them & made a few suggestions for vocal layers, drum reverbs, a couple of minor guitar rests and that sort of thing, but generally, I try not to fuck with people's music!

Adam: If ever our paths shall cross, I'm buying drinks! :)