MAGNUS KARLSSON'S FREE FALL: We Are The Night

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
MAGNUS KARLSSON’S FREE FALL Release New Video For “Queen Of Fire” Featuring BATTLE BEAST’s NOORA LOUHIMO

"....Heavy metal guitarist, songwriter, and producer Magnus Karlsson recently announced his third album, We Are The Night from his solo project Magnus Karlsson's Free Fall. It will be released on May 8, 2020 ( now June 12, 2020) via Frontiers Music Srl. As with the prior two Free Fall releases, "We Are The Night" features an exciting array of guest vocalists taking the lead on tracks throughout the album....

...For this new album, We Are The Night, Magnus again enlisted a dream team of singers featuring some of the strongest melodic singers in metal and hard rock. The list includes the awesome Noora Louhimo (Battle Beast), Dino Jelusick (Animal Drive, Dirty Shirley), Ronnie Romero (Rainbow), the newest vocal star on the Frontiers’ label, Renan Zonta (Electric Mob), Tony Martin (Mollo/Martin, ex-Black Sabbath), and Mike Andersson (Cloudscape). Rounding out the line-up on the album is Anders Kollerfors on drums. Jacob Hansen (Volbeat, Primal Fear, Amaranthe, Pretty Maids, etc.) mixed....."

freefallcd320.jpeg

Magnus Karlsson’s FREE FALL Release Lyric Video For "Hold Your Fire" Feat. DINO JELUSICK

Every Magnus Karlsson album is good, although this time his songwriting will have to carry it because these vocalists are either not among my favorites or are already overexposed with Karlsson(such as Romero, brilliant but we already have the Ferrymen). This almost sounds like Frontiers trying to showcase some newer singers to sell other albums. But who knows, maybe they'll knock my socks off.

Very true about Romero being over exposed....he's amazing, but wow, he's everywhere! But man, I'll take more Dino Jelusick....that guy is a BEAST. A young Jorn Lande....his work on Dirty Shirley and Animal Drive is fantastic. I put him up there with Ronnie Romero, Nils Molin and Nathan James as some of the best younger vocal talents around today.

Just listened to my copy of this album....very solid stuff. The singers are amazing...the only drawback for me is that, as talented as Magnus is, there's a sameness to his song writing that gets a little stale after a while. They're all really good songs, but I've heard them before in Last Tribe, Allen/Lande, and his multitude of other projects.
The singers are great, though...Dino Jelusick still stands out for me. I haven't heard a guy ATTACK vocals like this since Jorn...he just goes for it every time he opens his mouth. It was pretty awesome to hear Tony Martin again, too....such a great singer, and a much overlooked singer at that.

When a guy puts out as much material as Magnus does it's almost impossible to avoid one of two problems:

1) Stuff sounds similar to other stuff. About half of the songs on his albums follow the same template, even reusing a lot of lyrics.
2) Quality dropping as an artist just tries to get ideas out, on paper, and recorded in quantity.

Magnus chooses #1. Personally I like his formula so much that I like the frequency of his output. Just keep slapping new singers on the same ideas and I'm happy. That being said, the other half of his songs usually stand alone, I just think he's running into the problem of having to produce a lot of music. No wonder he almost never plays live.

I loved Kingdom of Rock, but this one has fallen flat for me.

Strange. I liked the previous discs. But I absolutely LOVE this one! The track 'Queen of Fire' may very well be the best tune he's ever written imo. And Noora just KILLS it on vocals. And Dino on 'Under The Black Star'? That song has been in permanent rotation at my place since I got my hands on this disc.

Yeah. I get that the music is formulaic. I guess I just love the formula. :) And when it comes right down to it, what music ISN'T formulaic to some degree or another?

Not to mention that the production is just HUGE. I crank it on my Enzo XL's and it just blows me away. Meant to be played loud!

Last edited: