Magnus Lindberg/Cult Of Luna Appr.

Seizure.

Jul 13, 2005
holland
www.seizure-music.com
Hope i'm not the only one on here who loves these sounds, but anyway:

www.myspace.com/magnuslindbergproductions
http://www.myspace.com/cultofluna

I've been realy digging this guys drum and guitarsounds, and his productions are allmost allways totally different then what you would expect and still damn good!

Bonedry drums most of the times.. incredibly lowgain guitars that still make a massive wall of sound, huuugggee basssounds (check out the beyond) and lots of re201 echo madness haha

Also seems he knows his micing techniques.. looks like he's using a blumlein on most of his productions.

Its also good to see alot of old Sunn, Hiwatt, and Vox stuff haha

Just found some pictures of the Eternal Kingdom recording on his space:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...viewPicture&friendID=418289219&albumId=963820

Like i said, hope i'm not the only one liking this.. else this would be wasted time ;)

not a huge fan of their newest album due to the "un-muddy" vocals..

But, awesome band.
Great sounding albums too! (just not the polished vocals on the newest LP)

Indeed.. i'm gonna try me some Blumlein on drums next time i record something that asks for natural drums :) seems to work great for Magnus.

Maybe gonna see how it sounds if i leave the blumlein signal quit unthreated and then add a smashed pair of A/B omni's! should be cool :)

I thought they sounded massive on the albums too, but that changed when I saw them live. Holy shit, they're ridiculously heavy! The albums are nothing compared to that. The two drumkits, three guitars and all. I was also surprised as one of the guitarists does a lot of the vocals, the "true" vocalist didn't even come on the stage until the second song. And I almost shat myself in the ending of Eternal Kingdom when it slows down. They just slowed and slowed it down more and more and played it for like 3 minutes or something.

But yeah, his production is really good, I like it a lot. I also enjoy how audible the bass is even though there's 3 really low guitars. I'd like to know whether they use 2 drumkits while recording, some parts certainly sound like there's more than one guy playing.

Yeah, i saw them about 3 times now.. Roadburn being the best one actually.
That was the concert with the 2 drummers! they were better then Isis, thats for sure..

And i was kinda wondering about that myself too.. Maybe i'll send him email with some questions and post it here :)

Bass is actually the Sunn 300 T with cab and a Golmer blues overdrive on about every album.
Best basssound was the one on The Beyond, the beginning of the watchtower is just rediculous..

More and more I'm loving this kind of production, I absolutely love the guitars on this, actually I love all of it.... I'm gassing for an re-201, anyone know if the new re-20 can get anywhere near it as a studio tool?

Better sound, Better show, and they did what they promised, while Isis cut there set shorter..

Or do you mean the 2 drummers?

Anyway, asked him about Overheads and roommics.. and:

"Hey

Its actually just a regular XY stereo room pair, but yea...phase is important, thats why I almost never do anything but xy. For OH and lots of other things. (of course blumlein would work aswell) "

Just had look at some Steve Albini recording pictures aswell..
Loooots of different micing techniques going on, m/s, Blumlein etc.. on both drums, guitars, bass..

Only heard someone mention it 1 or 2 times here, too bad that doesn't get explored at this forum as much..

Since they sound great on alot of different sources!