Mahagony body and neck, which pickup?

Curse9

Jun 10, 2008
Germany
I have a new Dean Vendetta4. I don't like the stock pickups so i need to change them. In my Jackson SL1 is a SH4 in the bridge position. I like the sound but i don't know if this pickups sounds equal to the Sl1 if i put it into the Dean. Who can givbe me advice and guide me to the right pickup for my Dean?

i prefer passiv pickups, i don't want to change the pickups in my jackson. both guitars should sound i bit similar.

The JB is one of the best pickups you can put into a mahogany guitar IMO. Mahogany helps balance out the strong upper mids present in the JB sound. I have one in my mahogany guitar and absolutely love it.

Try some Dimarzio D Activators. I have them in a thick mahogany bodied guitar and they sound great. they have a lot of mids and treble so the mahogany helps to give a really balanced sound.

Bare Knuckle Miracle Man. Really tight, high-output pickup. A lot of people don't realize that it's the most metal pickup that they make, along with the Painkiller, because of its deceiving name.

Very tight and percussive lows, mids are voiced towards the low-mids, and a really nice round, chimey top end. Tight as hell. I had a JB in my mahogany Schecter, and swapped it for the BK and it made a huge difference.

The JB is definitely a love/hate thing.
I like the JB although in my experience they have pretty pronounced treble and can sound a little thin.
I think it would sound good in an all mahogany guitar, probably better than in your SL-1.

If it was me, I'd probably try sticking that SH4 in the Dean just to get a reliable frame of reference. If you knew what that pickup sounded like in there, you would probably have an easier time picking out something different.

I've loathed the JB in every guitar I've played it in - SH-5 Duncan Custom or SH-15 Alternative VIII get my vote!

I didn't mind the JB in my ESP when it was in there, but after putting the D activator in there the difference was huge.

I too have heard great things about BKP Miracle Man. My friend has a Nailbomb in his guitar and hates it and is changing it for a Miracle Man.