Maiden go acoustic (for one track)

Melisan

Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
IRON MAIDEN producer Kevin Shirley, who is currently working with the band at a London studio on their as-yet-untitled follow-up to 2000's "Brave New World", has posted the following recording update via his web site:

"We cut the track being rehearsed [in this photo], and it came out great - and someone suggested putting an acoustic guitar on it, so I said, '... well, let's cut an acoustic version as well.' So we had to hire in some acoustic guitars (that's pretty sad!) and we cut an alternate version. Three acoustic guitars, acoustic bass and Nicko [McBrain] playing his drums, not with regular sticks but with 'bundles', and the track came out great. Even [IRON MAIDEN frontman] Bruce [Dickinson] got sensitive in his vocal booth, delivering a peach of a performance. I'm not sure where this will surface, as I feel pretty certain the electric version will make the record, but... hey, it will keep everyone guessing, I suppose!"

This is definitely something we haven't heard before, and I welcome it on the new album (unless it doesn't fit the mood of course, in which case there should be a bonus CD or something...)

Dear bruno wanted to do an all acoustic record after getting off the Powerslave tour... he has admitted to being quite near the funny farm at that point.... but it would be rather interesting to hear...
I'm still hoping Roy Z will produce a Maiden album in the near future... or that Bruce will do another solo record... but I'm not holding my breath...

That would be cool. Very interesting nonetheless. There is one other song where they 'touched' with accoustical sounds. Can you guess what that is? Maiden trivia question??? Ans: Very end of Prophecy from Seveth Son of a Seventh Son. Dave Murray was originally going to do that in electric, but decided to try accoustic to give it the mandolin/medieval sound. I must admit, I do like that sound.