Maiden! Motorhead! Blind Guardian!

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Well, here we are...a good looking month. As noted in another active, and mildly controversial thread, I've got an advance copy of the new Maiden. I just picked up the new Motorhead, and I downloaded the new Blind Guardian - I'll buy it when it comes out, I'm keen on giving bands my money...no sarcasm.

So....some thoughts:
Maiden - Again, discussed thoroughly (somewhat) in other thread. But to sum up, I love it! A great album. Have heard it about 5 times, and it get's stronger everytime for me. Pretty much a mix between Bruce's best solo stuff (the last three) and Brave New World.

Motorhead - Just got it, spinning now. The usual Motorhead street-level brilliance. Lemmy is not a icon anymore, he's a monolith. Anyway, only a few songs in, and it's the usual Motorhead thing, which is to say great writing, a weird mix between punk and metal, and just plain really, really (really) loud rock and roll, with, of course, the usual acid head musings by Lemmy. He's more of a poet than people give credit. I love Motorhead. They never dissapoint (well, very rarely). More of a refined opinion after I've digested it more.

Blind Guardian - Haven't been the biggest fan in the past. I like 'em alright, but they've never really had an album that could "change my life." Anyhoo, lo and behold, this one is pretty damned good. Really damned good. Hansi has toned down the vocals just enough to place them in my palatable range. Some new textures, some VERY catchy songs. Fly and Another Stranger me, though advance single releases, are GREAT....freakin' great. Many more highlights. For the first time Blind Guaridan looks to be making my top ten at the end of the year.

Love or dislike 'em, there are a crowd of records coming out this month! Good stuff, the kind of records you wait for, or at least records by bands you watch the shelves for. Whether or not they are good records remains to be seen to the individual ear of course.

This is not to mention the new Bob Dylan which came out today (who I'm a bit of an afficianado on). PLUS, the new Mars Volta, and I think the new ISIS is imminent. Good month!

Well besides all that Slayer, Deicide , and Gwar all came out this last month as well. Also Lamb Of God, Unearth, All Shall Perish, and reissued Mayhem for all us must buy everything metal people.

My copies of Motorhead and Blind Guardian are on the way, also the new Firewind.

So far Pharaoh, Sabaton, Astral Doors, Jorn, Black Crucifixion, Abandoned had made this a very neat year in the first half. Now with Motorhead, Blind Guardian and the upcoming Wolf, Meliah Rage, Falconer, Riot, Hammerfall, Dream Evil this is going to be real good in the end.

my income isnt that disposable but I appreciate your enthusiasm. I have the new Maiden, I get it on Fathers Day, not long to wait now...

JuanDeLaForet said:
Looking forward to the new Mars Volta - it's supposed to be *real* good.......

Yeah, the first two (plus the ep) were just awesome. So, expecting big things really. There are some samples on Myspace. I heard their drummer left though, but he is on the album. Too bad, because there are few bands these days in which the drummer is a REALLY important part of the band, in that he adds something extra special. Such was the case with him, and now he's gone. Not unlike Martin Lopez with Opeth. A shame he left. He brought some real pizzaz to the show as it were.

and new Virgin Steele!
Haven't bought any cds in a few months, but now I've got a few must haves.

BTW... anybody know what happened to the new Trouble cd that was s'posed to be coming out in June?

Wyvern said:
My copies of Motorhead and Blind Guardian are on the way, also the new Firewind.

NEW FIREWIND???? WHEN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??! The last album was def. one of my top 10 of last year, just something about it kept bringing me back to it. IM WAITING FOR A NEW BRAINSTORM!!! Liquid Monster was amazing.

EVERLOSTINDEADETERNITY said:
Wyvern said:

NEW FIREWIND???? WHEN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??! The last album was def. one of my top 10 of last year, just something about it kept bringing me back to it. IM WAITING FOR A NEW BRAINSTORM!!! Liquid Monster was amazing.

"Allegiance" with Apollo Paphanasio on vocals (my main reason to get into this band finally). Already available thru The End Records.

NP: Helloween - 'Born On Judgement Day'

Wyvern said:
"Allegiance" with Apollo Paphanasio on vocals (my main reason to get into this band finally). Already available thru The End Records.

That's a really good disc. I've been playing the hell out of it for a few weeks now. I'll be getting it on my next order, if not at PP.

Wheezer said:
That's a really good disc. I've been playing the hell out of it for a few weeks now. I'll be getting it on my next order, if not at PP.

These hauls (arriving I hope before PP) are my last. I hope to discover bands and acquire albums at PP as well as to get something either at the market or a nearby CD store (if any), still have a huge list of stuff I want.

NP: Avenger - 'Steel On Steel'

Wyvern said:
These hauls (arriving I hope before PP) are my last. I hope to discover bands and acquire albums at PP as well as to get something either at the market or a nearby CD store (if any), still have a huge list of stuff I want.

PM me an idea of stuff you'll want to look for -- not CDs, but other stuff. I think I remember you mentioned a pillow in another thread. There's a local I know that could suggest places nearby to find that stuff. Bryant may be able to help too.