make palm muted notes pop out

right amount of distortion, tight amp (engl blackmore does the trick perfectly), and most importantly the correct playing technique nothing special during mixdown or so, should sound like that in the room.

when using the mesa model (ms-diamonplate) on the pod xt pro, i notice sometimes i feel like some parts should have less distortion, and other times some parts should have more, so basically i feel like im adjusting the gain per part, because some palm muted stuff pops out better if the gain is lower than even 60%

is that normal? or is that just the amp's character?

when using the mesa model (ms-diamonplate) on the pod xt pro, i notice sometimes i feel like some parts should have less distortion, and other times some parts should have more, so basically i feel like im adjusting the gain per part, because some palm muted stuff pops out better if the gain is lower than even 60%

is that normal? or is that just the amp's character?

I think that’s just the character, realized that pretty often myself,
open chords sound thick and full and single strings sound weak and mushy.

I don't think anything special was done to the guitars in this wintersun mix. I remember listening to this mix with Nino Laurenne who mixed this album and talking with him briefly about the gear, but I can't remember anything about it :-D . The guitar player/vocalist (Jari Mäenpää) in this band is one hell of a guitar player. He recorded and produced this album by himself.

I'd hazard a guess - try compressing an already recorded track with tight RELEASE setting on the compressor. Finding a certain narrow band mid frequency to boost might also help accentuate the p.m. chunks :) - I realise these are quite basic things - but you might find them just enough to do the trick for your sound. I'm sure you find it most important to make this audible in a mix - not just the guitar track alone.

I also agree with what was already mentioned regarding amp charachter and playing style.

Rock on !!!