How to make my palm mutes sound "chunky"

Your mom had triplets. And then she ate them. :eek:

You can't say I'm wrong, because all guitarists are different and they play and learn differently. He's got to find what is best for him. And that might mean spending more than the $100 he spent on the starter guitar.

Also it would be good to actually tune the guitar. That can make a good bit of difference in the sound you get. :lol:

good job Alcaline ! use of the tone and feel master to prove the point is priceless.

As far as ugradeing that particular guitar the expence of a dual coil in single coil size at bridge position would not be much even if you have to pay someone else to solder it in... by comparison of buying a new guitar... and you will still have the Strat tones for their other benefits. http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/index.php?page=2

I also just relistened to your vid and I noticed either lots of reverb or delay. I cant speak for anyone else but I use absolutely NO reverb or delay for my riffs. I dont want all that background noise interfering with the chops. Its a staccato technique and all that water splashing around in the background defeats the purpose as well as effects the tone. Its great for covering mistakes but thats not the idea of improving a riff technique

Palm muting is not a science but an art and everyone is diffrent.
Take all the advise you can get, try it all and then find what suits you best.
Experiment and eventualy you will find your own style.

My best mate also plays guitar and some times we jam.
Although we listen and play the same kinds of music our style is slightly diffrent.
He can play the exact same riff as me and it will allways sound a little diffrent because of his style.
It's not because he is better or worse. we have just learnt slightly diffrent ways of doing things.

good job Alcaline ! use of the tone and feel master to prove the point is priceless.

As far as ugradeing that particular guitar the expence of a dual coil in single coil size at bridge position would not be much even if you have to pay someone else to solder it in... by comparison of buying a new guitar... and you will still have the Strat tones for their other benefits. http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/index.php?page=2
Probably a good idea. If you wanna play metal, the strat pickups will only get you so far (I.E. Iron Maiden, and that's about it).

I also just relistened to your vid and I noticed either lots of reverb or delay. I cant speak for anyone else but I use absolutely NO reverb or delay for my riffs. I dont want all that background noise interfering with the chops. Its a staccato technique and all that water splashing around in the background defeats the purpose as well as effects the tone. Its great for covering mistakes but thats not the idea of improving a riff technique
Definitely.

Thanks for all the help guys, I've been working on it for the last month or whenever I posted this thread.

Its sounding better for sure. I'm looking into getting an Ibanez G series this summer. I know I don't *need* it, but I think its a bit more appropriate for the kind of music I want to play.

This is still fine in the meantime to practice.

Problems:
- Single coil bridge pickup in the Strat. You'll want to replace it with a fairly high output humbucker. Good choices would be EMG 85, Seymour Duncan Invader/Distortion, or DiMarzio X2N/Evolution.
- Metal Zone Pedal. Metal zones are crap and you'd do much better with a better amplifier.
- What amp and speakers do you have? You won't get any chunk out of a 5W amp and an 8" speaker.

WORD. Your pickup is a big deal, and it'll be hard to get good tone from the Strat if you want to be heavy, because the guitar is hollow. Your technique seems to be a big factor too. Use a heavy pick - make sure you pick parallel to the strings as opposed to cutting across them at an angle - that will make your tone a lot cleaner. Also try to control the movement in your right hand better. You seemed to be hitting your A string as well when you didn't mean to, and that will make it really sloppy sounding. One exercise that will help is to practice double picking and pay attention to only hitting the string with the tip of the pick, and picking parallel to the string. Try to do it until you don't hear any pick scrapes. That will also help you stop hitting multiple strings when you play. Also slow your riffs down and experiment with where you rest your right hand. That will help you figure out where you need to rest the hand. it can be different on different guitars.