Palm mutes and out of control frequencies

TomMartin

Jul 19, 2008
When I hit palm mutes on pretty much any low chord I get a major peak at 117 hz. It's the room...

I understand there are plenty fixes for this, multiband comp, etc, I've been known to high pass up here as well and get rid of it that way, but I'd imagine I can help a lot by moving my cab and mic around a bit.

So the intuitive thing for me to do was set up a sin wave generator at 117hz and move around the room looking for the peaks and nulls. The level changes drastically as I move round, so I stick my ear right where the mic is in front of my 4x12 and.......

The 117hz sin wave is barely audible!? wtf? Any ideas what's going on?

My plan was to stick the speaker and mic in the place where 117hz is at it's quietest, but it's already there.... should I put it where it's loudest!? Surely that won't work...

Build some corner traps & some hemholtz resonators. Also, experiment with moving your cabinet around the room & recording it at various locations. Find which works the best before applying EQ and multiband.

Interesting. Have you tried to uncouple the cab from the room, via a Great GRAMMA or similar? How about taking the back off the cab and ensuring all of the speakers are screwed on tight? The back of the cab itself is tight and sealed well? Baffle to back post is tight and making contact with the back as well?

What cab, what amp, what room dimensions and materials?