Making a solid state amp sound better

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
I was wondering if you guys know of ways to make a solid state amp sound better (as in more tube like).

Do you guys reccomend Tube preamps such as the Mesa V pedal or the new Vox pedal board with a 12ax7 pre?

Or things like the PODxt ?

I know alot of the characteristics of what make a tube amp sound "TUBE" is the output tubes.

At the moment i really cant afford a tube amp and i curretly own a Behringer GMX 212, its a good amp for the price. $250

But im wondering what i can do to make it even a little more tube like.

This may be a very naive question so please be nice ....:p

Da Fukn Guru

There are some decent solid states out there, especially for heavier tones. Randalls, the Peavey XXL and Ampeg VH140 (I think that's the model...) can all deliver good metal tones. Some people like the older Marshall Valvestates- the 8100 series. They've worked well enough for Death, Prong, At The Gates, early In Flames, Meshuggah, and probably a few others. I used a Marshall AVT50 head when I couldn't afford better, and it was plenty passable when it was dialed in right. Not the greatest, but a workable tone for sure.

Personally, were I going the solid-state route, I'd use a modeler. Either a Pod XT or something from the Vox Tonelab series. There's some debate over which is better; I've owned the XT since it was first released and I've heard tones from both that are totally convincing. If you're amplifying 'em rather than running direct, run them into a power amp or into your amp's effects return (which will bypass your amp's preamp).

If you don't mind rack gear, you can probably find a proper all or mostly tube preamp for not very much money. The ADA MP-1, Marshall JMP-1, Peavey Rockmaster, and one of the Mesa pres- I think it's the Studio- can all be found relatively inexpensively. Again, run them as you would a modeler, into a power amp or effects return.

Good cheap tube heads are getting harder to come by than they were a few years ago, when you could pick up JCM 800s and 5150s on Ebay all day long for well under $500. I think you should still be able to find JCM 900s and Peavey Ultra Plus and VTM heads for $400 or so if you look.

That's just off the top of my head. Anything I mentioned here should be able to get you where you want to be for $400 or under, sometimes way under.

I have a Presonus Blue Tube preamp that I used to use with a Marshall MG100 head.

I ran one channel before the input on the amp, and the other channel in the effects loop and it worked really well. It's a great way to add a little more dynamic response to a solid state amp or a POD. Not mind blowing by any means, but it does make a difference.

Kazrog said:
I think (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) that Stabbing the Drama is Cyclone+5150. They are currently touring with Krank though.
Nice! I actually really like the rhythm sound on that album and the music itself gets better with every listen.

Hmm this gives me ideas about picking a Cyclone up from ebay... :hotjump:

I owned a Cyclone and I wish I had never sold it. That is probably THE best sound you can get out of a solid state head, hands down. I have a Fender MetalHead solid state now, and to be honest, I fucking hate it. No matter what I do I can't get a sound I can live with out of it. I tried running my PODxt Live in front of it, but it took all the string separation out of it at high volumes. Like the tone just melts and turns into a big mess. Anyone have any tips on getting a good sound with the POD in front of an amp? Presets? Anything? Help a guy out here Kazrog, I know you must have a good "live" patch. I can't seem to find anything liveable...

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
Are you plugging it in the return jack on the effects loops?

I've hooked it up in every I/O config I can. Still no luck. The POD is a great little recording gadget, but I think it just sounds bad through my live rig. I need to either fix my 5150, or get another Cyclone... I think.

Thanks for the advice guys ... i think im going to try the MP1 ... i loved that preamp when i had it back in the early 90s. Probably use the TS 808 infinr for a clean boots...

You guys kick serious ass

Thanks again

Da Fukn Guru

DIOBOLIC5150 said:
I owned a Cyclone and I wish I had never sold it. That is probably THE best sound you can get out of a solid state head, hands down. I have a Fender MetalHead solid state now, and to be honest, I fucking hate it. No matter what I do I can't get a sound I can live with out of it. I tried running my PODxt Live in front of it, but it took all the string separation out of it at high volumes. Like the tone just melts and turns into a big mess. Anyone have any tips on getting a good sound with the POD in front of an amp? Presets? Anything? Help a guy out here Kazrog, I know you must have a good "live" patch. I can't seem to find anything liveable...
Didn't you praise the MetalHead at one point?

DIOBOLIC5150 said:

Dude honestly I wish I had something to share for live stuff, I simply don't use my POD XT for live shows, it's just for doing demos. Live I run through my 6505+ now. Previous to that I had a Line 6 Flextone II, which sounded ok until combined with drums and bass, then it just disappeared. If you can use tubes or a Cyclone live, I highly recommend either. The Line 6 HD 147 heads are good too, although there is something about amp modeling that just doesn't cut through a mix as well, especially live.

Nitronium Blood said:
Didn't you praise the MetalHead at one point?

Yeah, I did... I guess I jumped the gun. Also, it's not as loud and powerful as all the hype makes it out to be. I might see if I can trade it for a Cyclone, I know a guy who has one and he doesn't really like it. But he doesn't play metal...