5. Captured
6. Merciless
7. Section 8
8. On Grounds OF Battle
9. Tyranic Oppression
10. Ravaged By Conflict
11. Shock and Awe
12. Jack The Ripper (Bonus Track)

MALEVOLENT CREATION are an institution of sorts. Nine studio albums, a compilation, two different retrospective/best ofs, and they are still going strong. In fact, Warkult may very well be their strongest album since 1998's The Fine Art Of Murder. Part of this can be attributed to the return of drum god Dave Culross, who is in top form here. Once again produced by the guitarist from KATAKLYSM, the sound is loud and punchy. Vocalist Kyle Symons seems more comfortable behind the mic this time around.

Tracks like opener "Dead March," absolutely ferocious in execution, are sprinkled throughout and make for an enjoyable death metal listening experience. I say give this album to our troops overseas and watch less of our guys die as they slaughter insurgents to the murderous sounds of MC. I can see the missles striking to the tune of "Preemptive Strike," lighting up the sky.

Truth be told, this seems to be a prevalent theme to this album, from the album title all the way down to songs like "Shock and Awe." The cover is reminescent of MARDUK's Panzer Division Marduk, with the listener staring down the barrel of a tank.

Kudos to Nuclear Blast for snatching this one up.

Rating: 8/10

Papa Josh

Looking back, I may have given too high of a mark for this album. I find myself quite agreeing with reviewer in BW & BK on this one. His comment was that it is really good, but he doesn't pull it from the shelf often. Find myself in that same zone now. Especially when I throw on Souls To Deny and compare the two, Suffocation eats them and spits their bones to the roadside.

7/10

Especially when I throw on Souls To Deny and compare the two, Suffocation eats them and spits their bones to the roadside.
No doubt ... Suffocation wins hands down.
I would like to hear Souls to Deny with a similar production as Warkult though.