Malmsteen ATTACK's!

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
Wanted to thank SWINE for hooking me up with this disc. To be honest, I hadn't really gave it more than a passing listen until today...just been so busy...but MAN does it really kick ass. Yngwie's shredding is fully intact, but I think on this album the tunes are a lot more listenable than in the past. Whether or not you appreciate "shred" guitar you would probably like this album if you like Maiden or any other "power metal" bands...great stuff! Thanks SWINE!

And thanks to GREENO for all the tunes he just hooked me up with! I'll be posting a review of those soon, buddy boy. WOLF and ATILLA rule!

I knew you would like Wolf!

I've not heard any Yngwyyyy in a long time. Are his 90's releases worth checkin out?

SickBoy said:
Are you kidding? o_O
He released some of his best works in 90s!
Take Seventh Sign, for example, to me it's among his best albums, as well as Magnum Opus and Facing The Animal! :worship:

Nope, not kidding. I'm not much on the guitar wankers, they get boring after the 2nd or 3rd song for me, but I did like YM's first couple of albums.

Plus, I know I should not let it bother me but YM's personality turns me off. Some of the interviews I've seen and in articles I've read about him he comes off as a real prick.... BIG EGO! Just made me not care to keep up with his career.

SICK BOY has a point, I think Yngwie has gotten better with time.
His stuff after he left the major label is insane.
Attack!!! is a killer record.
Guitar records aren't for everyone, I think if you think
you won't like you probably won't. I think you kinda
have a feel for what to expect.

Greeno said:
Nope, not kidding. I'm not much on the guitar wankers, they get boring after the 2nd or 3rd song for me, but I did like YM's first couple of albums.

Yeah, Yngwie has a problem with his wankery, but these solos of his don't always last the whole songs, which are not instrumental and have great melodies and singers.

Plus, I know I should not let it bother me but YM's personality turns me off.

Me too, but I somehow manage to leave it behind while listening his works...
He IS a certified asshole with a degree in annoyance, but makes great songs.

Kind of old thread for me since I got "Attack!!" when it came out the European version (so I lost the bonus tracks for US, big deal). As an album undoubtely is an improvement from WTWAW which is a big crap. Lately Yngwie seems to like to make one good album, one crappy, and so on.

Things I didn't like from "Attack!!":

a) Dougie White is misused IMO. You have to hear him in Rainbow - "Stranger In Us All", the guy sings awsomely, but in Yngwie's album is just average.

b) Yngwie misused greatly Derek Sherinian. I mean is the best keyboardist he ever had (better than Jens Johanssen technically speaking) but Derek merely play bits on the album compared to his full capacity.

Now about Malmsteen as a guitar wanker. Well is what he does best, is what his early albums where all about shredding without mercy. The problem is that after several albums and band line-ups he still believe he's doing something innovative, worse than that he still believes he's the best in business! I was there looking at the G3, and Yngwie's band opened and by Thor it was the worst I have seen. He acted like a model playing more with his hair (mane) than the guitar, his playing was more wankery than dexterity and after Vai and Satriani finished and the jam started he was jumping around like a monkey without consideration for his fellow guitar stars.

Being ranted like this I must confess that I have ALL his albums and knowing my masochism I'll probably buy the next one too. :D

The only Yngwie album i ever had of his was the Trilogy album... he's a good guitar player but a lousy songwriter i would say.. I do like the Trilogy album though and i saw him live years ago though i was drunk and dont remember watching him play lol ...

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
The only Yngwie album i ever had of his was the Trilogy album... he's a good guitar player but a lousy songwriter i would say.. I do like the Trilogy album though and i saw him live years ago though i was drunk and dont remember watching him play lol ...
I wouldn't judge him by that record, he has grown as a writer & guitarist & who knows maybe even as a person?

Hmmm... I have everything YM did from his first release to Magnum Opus and I got bored with him. Maybe I should check him out again. One thing I have always said though is that YM and Ronnie Dio need to do an album together. It almost seems like destiny that the two hook up.

Bryant

Bryant said:
One thing I have always said though is that YM and Ronnie Dio need to do an album together. It almost seems like destiny that the two hook up.

Bryant

That could be interesting!

GREENO, BRYANT, and co...you guys are onto what I was saying...I haven't been a Malmsteen fan in the past because to me all the songs got boring after 2 or 3 tracks..but THIS album has the RIFFS, baby!! It has the solos to keep all the shredders happy, but it also has freakin' great riffs and CHORUSES like I've never heard from him before. It almost sounds to me like you took "Aces High" and meshed it together with "See the Light Tonight". That kind of feel. Great rhythm guitar playing, not just blowing his wad....

tedvanfrehley said:
GREENO, BRYANT, and co...you guys are onto what I was saying...I haven't been a Malmsteen fan in the past because to me all the songs got boring after 2 or 3 tracks..but THIS album has the RIFFS, baby!! It has the solos to keep all the shredders happy, but it also has freakin' great riffs and CHORUSES like I've never heard from him before. It almost sounds to me like you took "Aces High" and meshed it together with "See the Light Tonight". That kind of feel. Great rhythm guitar playing, not just blowing his wad....

Well now you have me wanting to hear this album! Will have to track it down.

Bryant said:
Hmmm... I have everything YM did from his first release to Magnum Opus and I got bored with him. Maybe I should check him out again. One thing I have always said though is that YM and Ronnie Dio need to do an album together. It almost seems like destiny that the two hook up.

Bryant

I dont know about that. Two big egos working together could spell disaster. Ronnie might jump up and bite Yngwie's nuts LoL ... :wave: :p

Bryant said:

Bryant
I recommend you to check the tribute "Not The Same Old Song And Dance", go and for track #6 and enjoy :D

Wyvern said:
I recommend you to check the tribute "Not The Same Old Song And Dance", go and for track #6 and enjoy :D

It took a while to get used to that song without Tyler on vocals. Ronnie is a much much better vocalist, but frankly I'm not crazy about the way Ronnie does that one. Yngwie's part sounds great though.

Bryant

Wyvern said:
Are you talking about that "Dream On" cover? Well I'll probably be burned at the stake for saying this but...... I think Ronnie's version would be even better than the original if Yngwee didn't "overplay" some guitar licks/leads :)