Man I miss the late 90s

Metal is much popular now than in the mid 90's.... that's it, let's face it, in the mid 90's it had lost some popularity compared to 80's, now is getting back a little, just a tiny bit.
Maybe there were cool band, but 90's were full or numetal and other shit.
Now we have metal crap core, but I think that metal core is a lot better than numetal.
I miss the early 90's death metal, I miss Fear Factory and Pantera.
I dont't fucking miss the stupid gothic scene of the 90's, my buddy at that time just bought all those fucking stupid gothic metal band and I always hated that sad shit.

:). That above post is where I find myself constantly at odds with being an engineer/producer looking for the best 'technical' production, and also a music lover who cannot get past the fact that the most precious albums, the ones with most character are the ones with glaring production flaws. At what point do you cross the line and start to HURT the music with over-production? I think that's as much a battle as learning the skills to create a 'technically perfect' production.

One of the bigger drawbacks is likely that we've almost abolished the use of tape entirely. There must have been something added by the medium that created a natural vibe around the performances. Perhaps as technology gets better and our saturation plug-ins get 'on the level' we can start recapturing some of that? I don't know, it's a long shot but...

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that a few of you guys are Stabbing Westward fans. I thought it was just a teen angst thing for me, but I truly do still love that music... It really is atrocious what happened with Chris' new band. At the very least they covered a few SW songs in their live sets for the last few years. I think the 'glory' days for that alternative, brooding industrial music are well over.

It's all food for thought. In my never-ending search to get better at this gig, I need to balance this out and work out where to draw that line, and how to do so while continuing to get work, and letting the music shine on its own merits. This is why I'm so reluctant to delve into the world of gridding vocals syllable by syllabe, autotuning bass etc. Does it actually HELP the record, or just help to DATE it?

Glaring production flaws: Yes, the question is whether they are production flaws or actually production choices.
Back to the example of Dreaming Neon Black: this one is definitely not a Kelly Gray mudfest, as you can actually make out what each instrument is playing. Neil Kernon did his best to capture the sound he thought fitting for the music.
The only real flaw is the clipping on some guitar power chords and Neil explained on his board how that came to be (HDCD mastering). Besides that I, as primarily a listener and fan of music, don't find real flaws in there.

On Opeths Still Life, I remember reading that they wanted to use the Boss DS1 because it produced that special muddy sound (something like that at least, I don't remember the actual wording). Then heavily layered the guitars, the end of Face of Melinda has about 5 different guitar tracks playing at the same time. Again, choices. Way different choices than on Deliverance. Both good sounding records, but I know which one I prefer. :)
However for a thrash band or Arch Enemy, my preference would be way different.

So as you said, one thing is learning the skills, the other thing choosing when to apply them. A djent band or technical death metal band requires a different approach than progressive, atmospheric music.
Now in general, I believe tools like autotuning and quantization are great for correcting recording mistakes and maybe salvaging tracks that can not be retracked due to time/money restraints.
But it's your choice not to overuse them and shape each band into the same mechanical sounding form. Learn the difference between "character" and "flaw". IMO flaws are the things that make you cringe (in the worst case) or generally prevent you from enjoying the music to its fullest.

Example: On Psycroptic's Observant, I quickly noticed that they didn't quantize the kick drums. Sometimes that's very noticable, sounds almost like stumbling. On the one hand, I appreciate the obvious honesty in that, on the other hand personally I would have preferred to have them aligned a little better. It's a detail that jumps at me without me listening specifically at the kicks and draws my attention away from the kickass songs, so that's a flaw in my book. Best case, they should have retracked it, but time's money, so quantizing would be ok for me too.

BTW, I am certainly guilty of doing a lot of correcting/salvaging on my band's debut album which is still not finished. I'm curious to see how it will turn out, and how it will age. And I have learned alot about how to avoid needing correction in the first place, during the tracking stage. Most important thing I learned: A good, well-prepared musician doesn't need much correction after tracking. :)
So my primary goal nowadays is to get my musician skills up to par so guys like you don't have to use all those tools that kill the unique momentum of my takes, just to save them from being played like crap. Still got a long way to go. :lol:

faggots is the word

faggots.jpg

fall_out_boy.jpg

Example: On Psycroptic's Observant, I quickly noticed that they didn't quantize the kick drums. Sometimes that's very noticable, sounds almost like stumbling. On the one hand, I appreciate the obvious honesty in that, on the other hand personally I would have preferred to have them aligned a little better. It's a detail that jumps at me without me listening specifically at the kicks and draws my attention away from the kickass songs, so that's a flaw in my book. Best case, they should have retracked it, but time's money, so quantizing would be ok for me too.

I never really noticed that.. It just sounds so heavily sample-replaced and I don't dig that drumsound at all.

But, holy shit, that guy is an awesome drummer! He blew me away when I saw them live. Didn't sound like he was using triggers, too.

KEV HOLY FUCK Hahahahaahahahahahahahahaah - I never knew "Faggot" could also refer to a foodstuff (I knew about cigs), what exactly are those things? Very accurate though, Fall Out Boy, yeesh :ill:

85-95
That was my time. It was exciting.Seemed like everyday there was something coming out that was harder,faster,better played, more innovative and better produced.

I don't know...I'm on the fence. I think if you see how the singer of SW has changed with his new band, it would make me re-evaluate what I thought of them in the first place, lol. If HE is willing to sell out to lowest common denominator rock star cliches, then I can hardly blame a new generation for making things suck!

Bah, I've never been a fan of Stabbing Westward anyway.

I think any era of time has it's turds and it's few highlights. I do think there is a homogenization of music that seems to be exponentially growing, but you can still find the hotspots among the trash on the fringe.

HAHAHAhahahahahahahahaa, jesus christ Anssi, the pose of the big guy (and his hair being blown back) and his ridiculous scarf really seal the deal :lol:

Oh my god:OMG:

I think the word gay isn't enough for this.......

this is a higher state of gayness:ill:

i loved (and still do) Stabbing Westward's stuff until their last S/T album, which seemed like they completely sold out to me. then they broke up and a few years later The Dreaming came out. Their first EP was great... went a more rock direction than SW, but was stilll really good. Everything after that i've heard has seemed a slow, but deliberate decline towards boring teenage radio crap. seen them twice live, Chris was such a nice, cool guy to hang with. but i just stick to their old stuff and try not to hear their new shit so i dont have to be reminded of what they've become. and damn, that photo... not even i can defend it. very sad