Manilla Road, Virgin Steele

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Being that Eletric Wiz has superior musical tastes, I ordered the two most recent Manilla Road CDs simply based on his glowing review of the band found in another thread.

The discs (Atlantis and Spiral Castle) arrived Wednesday. When I first opened the package, I was underwhelmed, to say the least. The band must be signed to the smallest label in music history - the packaging appears to have cost but a few pennies! I think I pay more for gas each week than this record company did to produce these albums!!! (cheesy artwork, as well)

The production/sound leaves a LOT to be desired. In fact, the production reminds me of the early 90s Scandinavian black metal bands who purposely opted for awful sound (for that trOO feeling!).

With all of that said, these are among the best records I've heard in a LONG TIME. The songwriting - which is what it's all about - is superb! More melody than the Beatles! Awesome intrumentation....and, quite shockingly, solos that actually contribute to the songs (which is becoming a rarity these days).
I can't say enough for the great solos!!

There is this vast epic feel found within each album, and, in some ways, the sound and "feel" of it all lends a deep, feeling of 'cult'.....as if I've stumbled upon something which was always meant to be kept secret. Sounds weird, I know, but how the hell have these guys remained under the radar all of these years?

Great records!! Thanks for introducing me!

Is anyone here a fan of Virgin Steele?
If so, are they more than another Manowar? Are the riffs original and unique, or just typical power-metal fare?

SoundMaster said:
YES :hotjump:

If so, are they more than another Manowar?
They're much more than that, both were founded at the same time by the way. Manowar are more influenced by Black Sabbath while Virgin Steele carry influences of Queen (70's Queen that is), Uriah Heep and the likes. VS are more "orchestral", even if there are some similarities of course.

Are the riffs original and unique, or just typical power-metal fare?
Virgin Steele never really played power metal, well, not the euro power metal.
Their riffs aren't unique but their atmosphere is! There's a lot of mysticism and glorious epicness in their sound, lead by the deep, ferocious and classy vocals courtesy of David Defeis :worship:
Even though they're very different from Manilla Road, in a way there are some connections between the 2, since all is about atmosphere and mythological references. (Not early Virgin Steele though, which was more generic)

Personal recommandations : anything since Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part I (1994) will do :) Invictus, House of Atreus, etc.
Older records like Noble Savage and Age of Consent are quite good and have some classics in them but also more fillers, and their style wasn't always as developed as it has been since the mid-90's. They've gotten better with age ;)

Well man, I certainly agree with you on all ends here. Funny that the stuff is good enough to shine through all the handicaps you so rightly point out (production etc.). So many gems of the metal world seem to work that way; despite all odds someone puts out a great record. And though even the packaging and production seem to try to defeat it, the music just shines through. In a different universe Manilla Road would have the success and respect they deserve.

And I too owe a debt to someone here (though I'm not sure who, probably several folks) as it was this forum that just recently got up my interest in Manilla Road. Old-School pays off sometimes, in the biggest kind of way.

SoundMaster said:
If so, are they more than another Manowar? Are the riffs original and unique, or just typical power-metal fare?
Yep! I'm quite sure you'll like the work of Virgin Steele, or at least, some of it. Their earliest LP "Virgin Steele" is quite simple, my favorite therefore is Guardians of the Flame wich is much more epic already, high vocals and stuff, really amazing stuff. They're different than Manowar though, Virgin Steele is more to classic than Manowar is. I also enjoy their modern work such as The House Of Atreus Act I/II. (Kingdom of the Fearless/Anemone).
Btw, Atlantis and Spiral Castle are not Manilla's most recent albums. Gates of Fire was released a few months ago, it's much better than those two even. But if you like the melody and solo's of Manilla, you HAVE to try Necropolis/Open the Gates/Mystification.. that's the real epic stuff!

Virgin Steele kicks ass. One of my favorite bands. The House of Atreaus and Heaven and Hell series are their best.
There's supposed to be a new VS disk later this year, that I'm rabidly looking forward to.

SoundMaster said:

There are songs that carry a strong Manowar influence, like Symphony Of Steele or Invictus. The latter has a part that's very resembling of Black Wind, Fire And Steel, but in general they're not much about Manowar.

David DeFeis is an amazing vocalist. I love their "Marriage of Heaven and Hell" and their "House of Atreus" albums the best! But "Guardians of the Flame" and their debut are also damn good.

I have said it before I'll say it again; US metal rules!

Hawk said:
I have said it before I'll say it again; US metal rules!

Interesting. Not many people would make that claim. In my view, America is mostly responsible for two metal 'movements': thrash and L.A hair metal!

In my view, thrash hasn't aged well, and as for L.A hair metal....let's just leave that alone.

I've always felt that the island of Britain has been the HOME BASE of all metal (and rock!):
Beatles
Stones
Who
Zeppelin
Sabbath
Floyd
Purple
Maiden
Priest
Anathema
My Dying Bride
Paradise Lost
Porcupine Tree

SoundMaster said:
Interesting. Not many people would make that claim.

I know, thats because most people don't know shit about the US metal scene. Most Americans stare blindly to Europe and love all those boring happy metal Halloween clones.

SoundMaster said:
In my view, America is mostly responsible for two metal 'movements': thrash and L.A hair metal!

You forgot a metal genre that originated clearly in the US; Prog-metal. By far my favorite genre.

Besides, the point is not were metal originated or how many metal genre's originated in the US but the quality of the bands.

SoundMaster said:
In my view, thrash hasn't aged well, and as for L.A hair metal....let's just leave that alone.

Why? I like several so called "hair bands".

SoundMaster said:
I've always felt that the island of Britain has been the HOME BASE of all metal (and rock!):
Beatles
Stones
Who
Zeppelin
Sabbath
Floyd
Purple
Maiden
Priest
Anathema
My Dying Bride
Paradise Lost
Porcupine Tree

Thats true but that does not imply for me that the better bands should come from the UK. IMHO the best metal bands [read most of my favorite bands] come from the US. Here are but a few bands I really like:

Nevermore
Symphony X
Agent Steel
Steel Prophet
Helstar
Destiny's End
Anthrax
Anacrusis
Death
Zero Hour
Cea Cerin
Crimson Glory
Dream Theater
Exodus
Icarus Witch
Cage
Jag Panzer
Kamelot
Leatherwolf
Metal Church
Mystic Force
Control Denied
New Eden
Odin
Ion Vein
Icon
Lethal
Power of Omens
Slayer
WatchTower
Vinnie Vincent's Invasion
Imagica
Damn The Machine
Overkill
Overlorde
Psychotic Waltz
Pyramaze
Realm
Death Machine
Redemption
Sanctuary
Culprit
Heir Apparent
Omen
Attacker
Virgin Steele
Mannila Road
Cirith Ungol
Chastain
Exxplorer
Hades
Hallows Eve
Hawaii

This is but a small selection and I am sure I forgot a few. You would call Vinnie Vincent's Invasion, and Icon hair metal [whatever that means] and would leave them out. I however consider these bands among my favorites and thus are not willing to leave them out.

My favorite bands from the ones mentioned above are Nevermore, Zero Hour, Psychotic Waltz and Symphony X.

In the end its all about personal taste. I could have responded simply with "Dude I just like American metal bands better". But I wanted to give you some perspective of why I liked them better. I maintain that not many people are well known with the US scene.

Now tell me, how many of these bands do you really know?

Manilla Road aren't sponsored by Sharon Osborne or handed a record contract for looking hip. Manilla Road are about as underground as it gets, and they do pretty much everything themselves. I happen to believe that the totally raw sounds fits them well, and that Mark Shelton builds quite a titanic atmosphere around it. In three words, it's "more with less."

Hawk said:
I know, thats because most people don't know shit about the US metal scene. Most Americans stare blindly to Europe and love all those boring happy metal Halloween clones.
But would you not agree that many non-Americans hold that same view?
Agreed about the 'happy Helloween' clones....."flower metal". Not for me.

HAWK said:
You forgot a metal genre that originated clearly in the US; Prog-metal. By far my favorite genre.
I did indeed forget this genre.

HAWK said:
Why? I like several so called "hair bands".
I enjoy several, as well. But, imo, the over-saturation of that genre is what killed it. The late 80s / early 90s was actually a dark time for the genre....too much crap got through, watered it all down, and left a bad taste in the mouths of many.

HAWK said:
Thats true but that does not imply for me that the better bands should come from the UK.
And it shouldn't. As you've stated below, any/all of this can ONLY ever fall into the grey, shadowy realm of opinion. My fav 'place' for metal is, by far, England. But so what? There are millions who'd disagree.

Nevermore
Symphony X
Agent Steel
Steel Prophet
Helstar
Destiny's End
Anthrax
Anacrusis
Death
Zero Hour
Cea Cerin
Crimson Glory
Dream Theater
Exodus
Icarus Witch
Cage
Jag Panzer
Kamelot
Leatherwolf
Metal Church
Mystic Force
Control Denied
New Eden
Odin
Ion Vein
Icon
Lethal
Power of Omens
Slayer
WatchTower
Vinnie Vincent's Invasion
Imagica
Damn The Machine
Overkill
Overlorde
Psychotic Waltz
Pyramaze
Realm
Death Machine
Redemption
Sanctuary
Culprit
Heir Apparent
Omen
Attacker
Virgin Steele
Mannila Road
Cirith Ungol
Chastain
Exxplorer
Hades
Hallows Eve
Hawaii

HAWK said:
In the end its all about personal taste.
Truer words can not be said!

HAWK said:
Now tell me, how many of these bands do you really know?
From the list above, I'm very familiar with 13 bands. I'm vaguely familiar with another dozen (meaning I have heard some or much of their music. There are a few I've never heard of, however (Hawaii, Exxplorer, Heir Apparent, Culprit, New Eden)

Talking about Manilla Road, Bryan "Hellroadie" Patrick has just left the band, bringing Mark Shelton back on vocals full-time.
Their bass player will take over the screams and vocal harmonies.

I went through a huge Manilla Road phase, but my faves are probably still Open the Gates and The Deluge. They are underground as it was said, and that is most likely why they can still play the music they want to play without pandering to commercial flavors or such...

Fangface said:
Talking about Manilla Road, Bryan "Hellroadie" Patrick has just left the band, bringing Mark Shelton back on vocals full-time.
Their bass player will take over the screams and vocal harmonies.
Yeah I heard. Good news for me, bad news for Roadie. I do wonder why, just after having finished that last album? Something must've gone wrong..