manly as fuck: parabellum "sacrilegio"

einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008
34ecpe1.jpg

1. engendro 666
2. madre muerte
both songs on rapidshare

colombian black metal written in 1984, released in 1987. very REAL. colombia is a country that was/is ruled by extremely powerful catholics and thus playing blaspemous music like this was liable to get the artists in jail or worse. this is the sound of illegal music. furthermore, the fact that this band is from medellin, a city infamous for its high crime rate (and indeed, one of parabellum's guitarists was later killed in a street robbing) add to the feel that this record was made because frustrated with the state of their corrupted christian mess of a country, these kids are playing metal out of SHEER NECESSITY. this band is not FUCKING AROUND like so many myspace idiots.

it is also EVIL with guitar tone from HELL.

what fascinates me about this from a purely musical standpoint is that i cannot quite figure out if the songs are very deliberate and played after careful rehearsals, or basically made up on the spot. you will likely make little sense of these songs, especially "madre muerte" on the first listen. one thing i am fairly certain of is that parabellum (although not completely technically incompetent musicians) had little knowledge of conventional song structure, writing or even time signatures so this is VERY FIERCELY ORIGINAL. from before the time it was collectively decided that every black metal band had to play some particular riff styles and drum patterns.

play loud or die. 02:11 in "madre muerte" will MURDER you. also i'm offering the whole ep because it is only two songs, and almost literally impossible to find.

if this is just TOO HEAVY for you then check out my girly recommendation

Amazing band, really. Blasfemia is really good as well, but not as good as Parabellum. I'm still looking for that compilation though.