Manowar - Gods of War

I've heard the Sons of Odin EP a couple of times and if that's of any indication this is going to be a hugely orchestrated album. And not necessarily in a good way. Basically those tracks sounded like long, elaborate album intros. Is Joey influenced by Rhapsody..?

Still, Manowar usually deliver at least a couple of kickass tracks on each album, and I'm sure that's the case now as well. Still they've always had way too much filler material in their albums, let's just hope there's no full-blown "Metal Warriors" comedy this time...

OF FIRE!!!!!

Oops, sorry! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I d/led the new Manowar and it's not very good IMO... Almost half of the almost consists of these interludes and the metal parts themselves are pretty weak. Kinda similar in concept with Virgin Steele's House of Atreus discs but definitely not up there quality-wise.

I've never been that much into Manowar anyway and it seems their hc-fans already love this one so I guess they're going to the right direction.:)

Oh, and they did include a true metal comedy song, called Die For Metal! :ill:

Damn! I'll still get it, but I was hoping the Orchestral from the EP wasn't dominant. I still can't listen to the whole Achilles song . . . boring. They're at their best with the albums of straightforward heavy songs (Kings of Metal, Louder than Hell, Fighting the World).

Steve in Philly

I was bored to death first by one of the worst intros ever (7 MINUTES!!!) and then by uninspired songs with ever-the-same lyrics...
These guys lost their inspiration a long time ago, which perfectly explains just 2 albums in 10 years... And if they seem to struggle to make some 45 minutes of decent material, why do they throw in some elongated intros and intermezzos to extend the CD to 73 minutes?! A big meh IMO...

I d/led the new Manowar and it's not very good IMO... Almost half of the almost consists of these interludes and the metal parts themselves are pretty weak. Kinda similar in concept with Virgin Steele's House of Atreus discs but definitely not up there quality-wise.

Funny to hear that! People (incorrectly) frequently call Virgin Steele clones of Manowar, and now the tables are turned!

Funny to hear that! People (incorrectly) frequently call Virgin Steele clones of Manowar, and now the tables are turned!

Good point, but I really never thought VS was that much of a Manowar clone. Old old VS had the straight forward rockers, but ever since Age of Consent they've gone in a different direction, musically. Other than some "sword and sorcery" content, I don't really see the resemblance.

I love Manowar (at least the older stuff), but VS is a top 5 band for me. Marriage of Heaven and Hell is better then 85% of anything Manowar has done.

Steve in Philly

Just listened to Gods of War. It seems to be pretty ambitious... I guess you have to get in the right mental condition to appreciate all of the extended soundscapes / commentary etc. First impression is that it's not as bad as some of the reviews I've seen claim

Good point, but I really never thought VS was that much of a Manowar clone. Old old VS had the straight forward rockers, but ever since Age of Consent they've gone in a different direction, musically. Other than some "sword and sorcery" content, I don't really see the resemblance.

I love Manowar (at least the older stuff), but VS is a top 5 band for me. Marriage of Heaven and Hell is better then 85% of anything Manowar has done.

Steve in Philly
Well said, totally agreed!

80's Manowar > 80's Virgin Steele (Manowar had a much more defined personality back then)
But...
90's Virgin Steele > 90's Manowar (by far!)
00's Virgin Steele > 00's Manowar

IMO ;)

As for "Gods of War", it gets bad reviews pretty much everywhere, I'm expecting a disapointment now... we'll see.

Well said, totally agreed!

80's Manowar > 80's Virgin Steele (Manowar had a much more defined personality back then)
But...
90's Virgin Steele > 90's Manowar (by far!)
00's Virgin Steele > 00's Manowar

Agree 100%!

Its HEAVY on Orchestra parts/intros..."Loki God of Fire" "Kings of Kings" a small nod to the catchy chorus section of "Sleipnir" and the Bonus Track "Die For Metal"...thats it.

Those are the strong points.

The rest of this concept CD....just drones on sad to say. Perfect for a "Lord of The Rings"/"Dungeons & Dragons" Soundtrack type deal. Manowar are still metal, but this is one area thats been beaten to death musically. We get it.

I saw the leak available to download, but after reading various reviews and discussions, I decided not to waste my bandwidth. This album is getting hammered, by both hard core and casual fans. If I had to venture a guess on percentages, I'd say it's 90/10 saying it sucks.

Damn! I'll still get it, but I was hoping the Orchestral from the EP wasn't dominant. I still can't listen to the whole Achilles song . . . boring. They're at their best with the albums of straightforward heavy songs (Kings of Metal, Louder than Hell, Fighting the World).

Steve in Philly

What DarkOne said.

I've had this CD for some time and put off listening until I thought I would be in a mood to fully appreciate it. Well, looks like I didn't wait long enough because I found nothing in this CD that interests me in hearing it again. Having never been real fond of Manowar, I was actually hoping to like this CD. To those thinking about buying this thing, a suggestion... Pick up Virgin Steele's 'Visions Of Eden'(2006) instead.

theres only one problem...

manowar is goddamn homosexual

call it flaming if you must, but observe the album covers and feel my pain.

Nah, why don't you tell us how you really feel about those album covers. We won't judge you like those other, nasty metal message boards. I mean we've all accepted our Lord and Savior Rob Halford with it so we can surely accept you too.