Mapex BlackPanther Snare samples?

My friend actually has one of these and it sounds freakin' awesome. I could arrange a time for me to go over to his place and sample it.

How about ~10 hits for top and ~10 hits for bottom, varying in velocity? Maybe...2-3 soft ghost notey hits, 2-3 mid velocity hits and 4-6 full blast hits?

For mics I have an SM57, Røde NT-2a, Røde NT5 and Sennheiser E604 to choose from. Any/all of those going through a MOTU 8Pre. In an *extremely* dry/dead room too!

Sound good?

He also has a really badass wooden-rim snare (used on the Abhorrent project I posted up a while ago...here's a clip) that I could sample.

~e.a

Which mics would you like me to use? SM57, NT-2a, NT5, or e604? Or all of them?

~e.a

I'd say all of them, since they use Condensers on the snare on the Lamb of God albums....I guess if you could do the SM57, and one condenser, that would really, really be awesome

Well, I suppose I could just set all of the mics up on the snare and record them all at once...but I'm thinking there may be a problem with the end result, as in maybe one of the mics may not turn out as good as it should have since it won't have optimum placement compared to the other mics. So either I can use them all at once on the top, and then on bottom, just use them in a circle around the snare I suppose, or option B is to go with 4 different takes for top and bottom, one for each mic.

Any ideas as to the best way to go about it? I've never sampled anything with multiple mics on the same source before so this is a new one for me. Only guitar cabs with multiple mics...not really sampling though, heh.

~e.a

Yea, a friend of mine has the black panther snare. It's a fucking beast. I would sample it for you guys, but I don't have a good room or good preamps so thats out.

ah!
my brother has had one of those for years and i don't think anyone ever liked it so it's just been gathering dust for a longass time.

if you guys really, really, really want me too, i'm making a trip back down to TN in a few days and i could pick it up to make some samples with?

i would say if you don't mind doing a couple of "standard" 57 on top/ 57 on bottom samples and then some more experimental stuff to see what happens like what dss3 suggested. i would love to hear a condenser on that snare but then again you can't doubt the stability of the standard set up using 57s.

Alright, as of right now I'm scheduled to sample the snares tomorrow some time.

I've decided to go ahead and do all of the mics. Why not, right?

~e.a