March Hare - More Kemper in action

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
wow, this is the best guitar tone ive heard you pull yet. Bass sounds great too. The whole things breathes a bit more / feels less compressed than older March Hare mixes, which were needless to say steller as well. Very cool stuff.

wow, this is the best guitar tone ive heard you pull yet. Bass sounds great too. The whole things breathes a bit more / feels less compressed than older March Hare mixes, which were needless to say steller as well. Very cool stuff.

Thanks man, I appreciate that. This mix is certainly less compressed than my past mixes, but there is a lot of saturation going on. I'm also not using a clipper on anything in the mix either. I'm saturating drums instead of clipping, and I've taken it off the master bus too.

sounds BIG, really like the mood in this track! :)

Thank you!

Have you done anything unusual with the rhythm guitars in "clouds at four"? They sound like they're not panned 100% left and right, it's kind of distracting. The tone is amazing though.

What do you use for saturation?

Always hard to judge tones through Soundcloud. The service completely masticates audio. Just sounds like a swirly mess, no matter the mix.

I think I liked the solidity of your high-gain bass patch through the Line 6. The Sansamp stuff tends to be more about the clank - which I'm not sure is the best match to the kind of riffs you write. I want to hear that constant midrange rumble holding down the middle, like a 3rd guitar track. I think running the bass through an MXR pedal or Rectifier would be the go. Maybe even some Boss stuff ala Karnivool. It needs a real rig in order for those meaty mids to develop. This is probably a good bass midrange/distortion reference for your type of song writing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you done anything unusual with the rhythm guitars in "clouds at four"? They sound like they're not panned 100% left and right, it's kind of distracting. The tone is amazing though.

What do you use for saturation?

I'll be dipped in shit. The guitars are quad tracked but somehow two of them were panned to the center. Nice catch. The funny thing is, when I pan them back 75% left and right, they don't gel with the mix as much. Probably a volume issue due to the panning. The other 2 are panned 100% left and right for what it's worth.

For track saturation I used Waves Kramer Tape. That plugin on the drum bus is fucking brilliant, in my opinion of course, and for what I'm trying to get out of it. Turn the flux knob to taste and viola. The master bus has some Waves NLS ans Slate Virtual Tape Machine going on it.

Always hard to judge tones through Soundcloud. The service completely masticates audio. Just sounds like a swirly mess, no matter the mix.

I think I liked the solidity of your high-gain bass patch through the Line 6. The Sansamp stuff tends to be more about the clank - which I'm not sure is the best match to the kind of riffs you write. I want to hear that constant midrange rumble holding down the middle, like a 3rd guitar track. I think running the bass through an MXR pedal or Rectifier would be the go. Maybe even some Boss stuff ala Karnivool. It needs a real rig in order for those meaty mids to develop. This is probably a good bass midrange/distortion reference for your type of song writing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDKsosOvVmw

I've pretty much listened to Sound Awake every day in my car since April. The only other thing that's been in my player is Til' Tuesday's Voices Carry believe it or not, and I don't care what anybody says, its an amazing album. Talk about some stinky bass lines going on there. Anyway, I digress. That Karnivool distorted bass tone is just the most disgustingly brilliant tone I've heard in a while. The problem is its so prevalent that something like that would take away the power of the guitars. I want to somehow achieve an equal mix between the two. Christ, the drums on Sound Awake make me speechless as well. Its one of those albums that makes me want to quit doing music altogether. For the Clouds bass track, I literally used your method outlined in your mixing guide, however, the distortion track hardly existent in the mix. I've got a mix of bass DI and the Sansamp tone lowpassed at 250 for low end, the Sansamp tone highpassed at 500hz, lowpassed at 2500hz for midrange punch, and a very light Podfarm distortion appied to a DI track with 700hz HP and 2500hz LP. All that is fed into a group where its compressed with an 1176 plug followed by an LA2A (both Waves), then EQed and limited lightly with an L1. I'll try a Kemper Rectifier reamp for the distorted part. In retrospect, I have no idea why I didn't think to do that before, so thank you for that!

The Sound Awake drum tone would be hard to achieve without a real kit and a desk. The sound of that record really is an exemplification of analogue processing. That being said, I think the tighter, direct sounds work for the music you write. I agree that the Karnivool bass grit is a bit too prominent for your music, but essentially that shape of tone, turned down and blended a touch better with guitars would be ideal. If you get a chance, see how you like Stillwell's Rocket running in place of the CLA-76 on your bass bus. The rocket tends to clean up the midbass and be more sub-heavy, which can be a cool thing for the right project. The 'impetus' knob also controls some weird frequency-dependent saturation effect, which can make the bass feel denser in the mix.

Hope that Rectifier reamp works out!

The Sound Awake drum tone would be hard to achieve without a real kit and a desk. The sound of that record really is an exemplification of analogue processing. That being said, I think the tighter, direct sounds work for the music you write. I agree that the Karnivool bass grit is a bit too prominent for your music, but essentially that shape of tone, turned down and blended a touch better with guitars would be ideal. If you get a chance, see how you like Stillwell's Rocket running in place of the CLA-76 on your bass bus. The rocket tends to clean up the midbass and be more sub-heavy, which can be a cool thing for the right project. The 'impetus' knob also controls some weird frequency-dependent saturation effect, which can make the bass feel denser in the mix.

Hope that Rectifier reamp works out!

I'll check out the Stillwell Rocket plugin. Thanks for the tips and feedback as always.

Awesome song, don't have any good headphones at home but it seems to sound really good :) Love the cleans. But the March Hare is still just a project band right?

And for Ermins bass reference, i think that bass is to much and too overpowering and takes to much space, your bass-sound seems to cope better with your music and mix.

Still one of my favorite songs you did Matt, absolutely stunning!

Same goes for the guitar tone here.. damn, what patch is this? And your bass.. hhnnnggg! Greatness!

Awesome song, don't have any good headphones at home but it seems to sound really good :) Love the cleans. But the March Hare is still just a project band right?

And for Ermins bass reference, i think that bass is to much and too overpowering and takes to much space, your bass-sound seems to cope better with your music and mix.

March Hare used to be a real band way back starting in 1993. This song was actually written in 1995. Jesus. That's a long fucking time ago. We all live in different states now and as of now, I do all the music and mixing in Las Vegas and My friend and original band mate Matty Jones does the vox in Salt Lake City (my hometown and no I'm not Mormon). So it's basically a glorified hobby now and we all have busy lives with jobs, a wife and kids. I wish it could be more but that's life I suppose!

Still one of my favorite songs you did Matt, absolutely stunning!

Same goes for the guitar tone here.. damn, what patch is this? And your bass.. hhnnnggg! Greatness!

Thanks man! The profile is one of my 6505 profiles that I posted in another thread but slightly modified. I'm on my iPhone now but I'll post it here when I'm on my PC. The rig is a 6505 with a Marshall 1960A with Vintage 30 and Sm57.

It could be a lot more than just a glorified hobby. It's not often people have the sort of reaction to music as many of us have to the demos you've posted over the years. Has a heck of a lot more accessibility than straight metal too. Plus, the 90s are about due for a comeback, aren't they? :D

Very, very good! You've got a new follower! Great music. And if the bass would be more "clanging" (dont know if it's the right word:loco: ) in the last link you sent, i think it would be even more awesome. But fantastic job otherwise.

Thanks man! The profile is one of my 6505 profiles that I posted in another thread but slightly modified. I'm on my iPhone now but I'll post it here when I'm on my PC. The rig is a 6505 with a Marshall 1960A with Vintage 30 and Sm57.

I'll be sure to check it out, i missed your first profile!