Marduk - Rom 5:12

George

Jun 17, 2004
CT, USA
Marduk - Rom 5:12
Regain Records - BLOOD 034 - April 24, 2007
By George Grant

Marduk.jpg

Marduk has always been known for their speed. Their constant use of the blast beat even brought the label Norsecore in recent years. However, they have been taking large steps to change that. For the album Plague Angel, the band recruited a new singer by the name of Mortuus, also known as Arioch of the acclaimed Funeral Mist. The only problem was that Mortuus joined after the album had been written. For their newest release, Rom 5:12, he has been involved in the writing process, and even from the first track his influence is easily felt.

There is a surprising amount of variety on this album. The opening ‘The Leveling Dust,’ dismisses any predictions of a blast beat ruled album. Instead the track maintains a mid paced tempo with a great array of riffs to keep the listener entertained. The best track on the album is no doubt the monumental ‘Accuser/Opposer.’ The slow machine-like drum beat with the repeating guitar riff leave enough room for Mortuus to paint the atmosphere through his voice. Accompanying the band on the track is Alan Averill (also known as Naihmass Nemtheanga) of Primordial with his signature soaring clean vocals. This isn’t to say that this is a slow record. Marduk still plays their signature Black Metal style with lightning fast tracks such as ‘Cold Mouth Prayer,’ which features former vocalist Joakim Göthberg as a guest, and ‘Through the Belly of Damnation.’

The real highlight of this album is no doubt Mortuus’s vocal performance. His venomous snarl just oozes emotion throughout the album. The mix certainly aids this with the vocals sitting very high and, with the talent at hand, it’s very fitting. Also, the clean production (don’t worry necro dudes, I don’t mean sterile) help give the album the force it needs.

There was a few times on the album, however, where I felt the band needed to add something musically to the compositions. For example, the repetitive main riff in ‘Womb of Perishableness’ desperately needed a variation to keep me interested. Regardless, this is a very strong album. For people out there who have pushed Marduk to the side, myself included, this album will be a real eye opener. The spirit seems to have been reborn within Marduk, and I think we can thank Mortuus for that.

Official Marduk Website
Official Regain Records

I agree that Marduk has come up with something a bit different and arguably better than the past albums.

I don't agree that Marduk ever lost itself or deserved to be pushed aside. Even Marduk at its worst is better than 10,000 black metal bands out there.