marilyn manson....

rammpeth

Dec 12, 2005
ok first i want to ask you guys to read the whole thing and not just put some stupid comment because of the threads name (though im pretty sure vintersorg forum posters are among the smartest and most educated forum users :saint: )
anyway while i was trying to teach a friend of mine about real metal (Mr.v and his other projects, opeth, dark tranquillity, age of silence, a bit of everything good) i let him show me some of his crap cds (limp bizkit etc) but then he spinned a Marilyn Manson CD (its one where john 5 the guitar god plays in) and i thought to myself, if i didnt know that it was this attention bitch's cd, i wouldve said its quite passable (not good,,but listenable). so my question to you guys is,,have any of you heard some of his music and found good parts here and there, good musicianship etc?or in any other mainstream band for that matter

btw john5's solo cds are amazing

Mmm I dont really like Maryilin though I know he is an amazing watercolour painter and he lectures at art classes too.

Mainstream Bands?

Mmmm Tool ?

i used to listen to his music. in fact, i own one cd (first album), and saw them live 3 years ago. the show sucked pretty bad, but it was fun to see him dance across the stage and tell us to use drugs and become a retard like him.
mainstream? no, thanks. but it's fun to watch those clips on MTV.

Red Hot Chili Peppers. Flea is a total bass god.

Simple Plan. They're from my region of Canada, so I see them everywhere, and they have some pretty good lyrics. The musicians are pretty average though.

Stratovarius. Pretty much mainstream in Scandinavia...

James Blunt. Not a band, but the guy is cool, love his voice, nice texts.

Any band that deserves the label "UK rock band" is usually pretty good. Thinking about Franz Ferdinan and U2 and the rest. Nothing extraordinary, but I think they all have something catchy.

Pink Floyd. Total mainstream, total madness. Really like them.

Led Zeppelin. Mainstream again I think. Rock gods.

Bunch of others I can't think about right now.

Pink Floyd are legends. I could name hundreds of progressive rock bands that are both musically insane and could be counted as mainstream. That can also be said about some lounge music also.

Not into any aspect of Manson at all.

Alec Walter Conway said:
Simple Plan. They're from my region of Canada, so I see them everywhere, and they have some pretty good lyrics. The musicians are pretty average though.

QUOTE]

Pretty good LYRICS?

Dude you listen to Vintersorg and think Simple Plan have good lyrics?
Usually I dont comment negatively on peoples tastes, hell I have a realy eclectic taste, but I cannot agree with you there.

Well, there are VERY few mainstream bands out there that I can actually sit down, listen to, and appreciate their musical compositions and talents. Im probably gonna get bashed for this but Killswitch Engage is one that I listen to. I know they are a "metalcore" act but the musicianship and creativity in their songs are very catchy. You know when its something to listen to when you look foward to a certain riff or part of a song, thereafter the entire song just suddenly grows on you. The dual guitar work is amazing and is not the typical In Flames clone; very interesting and moody at times. The vocalist to me has the best voice in his genre; which doesnt say much cause most of the other stuff is that screamo bullshit anyway. But he singles out himself with raw talent. If you havent heard of them, give them a try.

@Minds Eye

You read the lyrics of their song about drinking and driving. And watch the videoclip of that song too. You'll understand what I mean.

And I'm not asking you agree with me. Just in case you wondered about that.

EDIT:
XxNecroNegroxX said:
Im probably gonna get bashed for this but Killswitch Engage is one that I listen to.

:yow: ZOMG BASH

:devil:

i mean, i remember that i said to myself, this john5 is a bullshit guitarist because he plays with marilyn manson and i dont see any real solos in one single song. and then i heard songs for sanity and im like holy crap

XxNecroNegroxX said:
Well, there are VERY few mainstream bands out there that I can actually sit down, listen to, and appreciate their musical compositions and talents. Im probably gonna get bashed for this but Killswitch Engage is one that I listen to. I know they are a "metalcore" act but the musicianship and creativity in their songs are very catchy. You know when its something to listen to when you look foward to a certain riff or part of a song, thereafter the entire song just suddenly grows on you. The dual guitar work is amazing and is not the typical In Flames clone; very interesting and moody at times. The vocalist to me has the best voice in his genre; which doesnt say much cause most of the other stuff is that screamo bullshit anyway. But he singles out himself with raw talent. If you havent heard of them, give them a try.

Speaking of metalcore, watch the bald guy in this live Lamb Of God video, its like a circle of death mosh pit and he just dissapears and a crowd of thousands runs into each other. I'm not a big fan of either bands but it is seriously worth a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsgEdbJlA1I&search=Wall of death

Alec Walter Conway said:
holy sh** did the bald guy die? :zombie:

Haha it's so fucking awesome!!!!, I would love to be there. I wish the bald guy was like a goth or emo instead though, you know those ones that go for the poser value and like the music cause their friends do? :saint:

I didn't really hear anything impressive as far as musicianship goes. It doesn;t necessarily mean that the musicians were bad or anything, but the musicianship sounds pretty crappy in those songs.

By the way, I'm not the type to say a band has shitty musicianship if I don't like the music. I don't really like Dillinger Escape Plan or Between The Buried And Me, but I think they can surely play.

I dont like Placebo but I think its just a matter of taste not because I hate them , just like how I dont like Nightwish's vocals because it's an aquired taste.