Mark Boals is the new DOKKEN bass player...

That's right Don. It's Sean McNabb's fault that you're 60 years old & your voice is shot. Get rid of that troublemaker!:erk:

This is a win for Mark Boals because sitting next to Don Dokken, now he sounds awesome!:lol:

Though I realize that you don't have to be a Billy Sheehan-type to play bass for Dokken, I do feel that Jeff Pilson was very underrated. He had a very unique tone and a killer groove, and if folks would check out the albums that the band made in the 90s, they would hear proof of that. Pilson's vocals were absolutely amazing as well. When Barry Sparks replaced him, I knew that he could handle the bass parts in his sleep, but I had no idea that he could handle the backing vocals as well as he did. The last bassist, Sean McNabb, was also a killer player, and I thought that his backing vocals were pretty decent. If anything, I would chalk up his departure to a combination of McNabb's inability to commit to all of the band's activities (he does a lot of acting work taking bit roles for television) and Don's ego in action.

As a huge Dokken fan (if you couldn't tell that about me already), I'm excited to hear that Boals has joined the band. If you read the interview with Don regarding this announcement, it sounds like Don is just as surprised as anybody else that Boals would want to join the band. I guess Mark feels that he gets enough of the spotlight as the lead vocalist in other bands. Perhaps he would like to have an outlet to go back to doing what got him his first major gigs, as he got his start playing bass for Savoy Brown and Ted Nugent. Don even mentioned that this will give fans the opportunity to hear the songs with the high notes again, so that really makes me happy!

Also, to back up what Scott said in response to Simon, the odds of a musician being able to make a living with just one band these days are extremely slim. It's not like Boals is singing with a band like Dream Theater. The man has to pay his bills somehow.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Heh, that's funny . I guess a bass gig in a regular touring act like Dokken is better than some mostly studio projects that don't sell much.
This is almost as bad as John West playing guitar in some country rock band or the guy from Liege Lord playing rhythm guitar in Overkill.

Though I realize that you don't have to be a Billy Sheehan-type to play bass for Dokken, I do feel that Jeff Pilson was very underrated. He had a very unique tone and a killer groove, and if folks would check out the albums that the band made in the 90s, they would hear proof of that. Pilson's vocals were absolutely amazing as well.

I honestly believe Jeff Pilson is the STRONGEST member of Dokken, period. I think George Lynch is a close second, but if you listen to all of Pilson's material from outside Dokken, and listen to all of Lynch's material from outside Dokken, and listen to all of Don's material from outside the classic era, Pilson's albums are the most consistently strong. He and Lynch together are where the magic really lies, though, as T&N and Lynch/Pilson are probably the two strongest non-Dokken albums.

And yes, my first thought was that Mark Boals should sing lead and stick Don on bass, and the band will be stronger immediately.

Of course Don needs a backup singer. He needs a lead singer for crying out loud. Boals rocks and I did not lnow he played bass either!

I honestly believe Jeff Pilson is the STRONGEST member of Dokken, period. I think George Lynch is a close second, but if you listen to all of Pilson's material from outside Dokken, and listen to all of Lynch's material from outside Dokken, and listen to all of Don's material from outside the classic era, Pilson's albums are the most consistently strong. He and Lynch together are where the magic really lies, though, as T&N and Lynch/Pilson are probably the two strongest non-Dokken albums.

And yes, my first thought was that Mark Boals should sing lead and stick Don on bass, and the band will be stronger immediately.

it's been a while since I listened to any non-Dokken albums, but the best is still Lynch's solo disc, with those awesome instrumentals and very good tracks from Glenn Hughes and Ray Gillen if I remember correctly .

It's hard to fault these guys, especially the ex-Yngwie guys, for going wherever they can get a paycheck. Most of these guys have their projects, they just don't make any money. They've always been studio hands or "break glass in case lead vocalist leaves" touring help. Boals seems even more transparent about it than most. "I'm a singer and if you pay me I'll sing for you." Or play bass, apparently.

If you mean non-Dokken "band" stuff, I don't know about that....Don Dokken's "Up From The Ashes" is pretty damned good.

Agreed, but look at who else was on that album...... He had a lot of contributions to the writing coming from that team.

The thing about guys like Boals, is that he can't sustain a living in non-touring, project albums...which is pretty much all he's asked to do. If he were asked to join Deep Purple or some other big name, touring band, he'd probably plant his feet. None of his vocal gigs, as awesome as he is, can sustain a living. I get why he joined Dokken.