Mark Reale (of Riot) has died

grywolf627

Mar 16, 2006
Houston, TX
Thundersteel is one of my all time favorite albums. :(

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=76549

Riot guitarist and founding member Mark Reale passed away yesterday (January 25th) due to complications from Crohn's disease. He was fifty seven years old. He had been in a coma since January 11th as a result of a subarachnoid hemorrhage. He had battled the disease for most of his life, and was bravely attempting to practice to perform with the band at their scheduled shows, before his condition worsened. His band mates have issued the following statement:

"To friends and fans of Mark Reale and Riot, we are deeply saddened to confirm that Mark has lost his battle with a lifelong illness. Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated by Mark's family, friends, and bandmates at this difficult time."

Metal Blade founder and CEO Brian Slagel commented:

"I was a huge fan of Riot's Fire Down Under album and got to interview them for my fanzine. Great guys and I was lucky enough to finally re-issue Fire Down Under and the other early Riot albums on Metal Blade. We signed the band for their second run, so to speak, and put out some records in the '90s that did well, especially in Europe and Japan. It was a pleasure working with them and Mark was always a kind soul — an amazing player who really has a big time place in the history of metal. One of the really nice guys who put out some incredible stuff."

I'll always remember this fat chick in high school (no, I didn't fuck her) ... she was the chick who had the parent that would let you drink

hanging out a party there one night, she popped in a cassette(!!!!) and this started blasting out

I almost wanted to fuck her then

almost

instead I stole the cassette at the end of the night

Last edited by a moderator:
The second concert I ever saw was Rainbow with the Scorpions and Riot opening back in the early 80's at the New Haven Coliseum. I had never heard Riot prior to that night, but became a lifelong fan that evening. I was so psyched about the Thundersteel lineup getting back together and the release of Immortal Soul (awesome fucking album by the way), that this loss is one I will think about, the what might have been, possabilities of a great run of new music from a classic band, for quite some time to come.

RIP Mark.:headbang:

R.I.P

I'm a great fan of RIOT andalso had the chance to know him some few years ago opening for them in a gig.
It is double sad he died cause I guess RIOT died with him.:confused:

Fucking week. My mother-in-law died on 25th too. I have just come from the funeral.:(:(