Maroon - When Worlds Collide

Zack

charting my way to top :)
Feb 9, 2005
Maroon – When Worlds Collide
Century Media – 020 7462 0161 - April 17th, 2006
By Zack Attaran

maroonwhenworldscollidelk9.jpg

With every genre, it is getting harder and harder to release an innovative album, or even something remotely different from the norm. Power Metal, Death Metal and many more are all succumbing to the terrible effects of having too many bands and not enough variation, but metalcore, by far, takes the cake. If there were ever a time to step in and just put something fresh out there, now would be it. It seems like Germany’s Maroon have seen this opportunity and seized it, releasing one of the best metalcore/hardcore records this year.

Now don’t take that last statement as a reason to go get this album right now, because believe me, this CD does reach blistering points of blandness, as with all metalcore albums. However, in terms of what’s been released in the past few months, this album does have its moments of brilliance. The trademarks us metalcore junkies crave are there all right, such as the crushing melodies prevalent in the German metalcore scene, as well as the good ole’, irreplaceable open string chug. If you dig a little deeper though, you’ll find many surprises like the choice to include Morten Sandager’s(Mercenary) power metal vocals in some songs, or the several instrumental acoustic pieces sprinkled throughout. The production is one of the best I’ve heard, and the screams, similar to The Duskfall’s, are on the enjoyable side- a rarely uttered phrase for me when it comes to things –core.

Once you venture into the sixth or seventh song though, your interest will surely wane, as this is an album that gets weak really fast towards the end, and when in need, just throws in an over the top breakdown to cover things up. In addition, when you’re in the tightly packed German scene, it’s real hard not to let a familiar riff or two slip in, but hey, it’s minimal, and at least they have good taste. Overall, these guys have melodies similar of As I lay Dying and fellow German comrades Neaera, mixed with brutal breakdowns, thoroughly enjoyable screams, and several surprises along the way. If you listen too long though, you’ll surely get bored quickly and let this sit with all of the other metalcore albums released this year.

7.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Maroon Website
Official Century Media Website

I agree to a certain point about yer statements in paragraph #1. Everything is starting to sound the same, but it's only because people WANT to sound the same. I find it extremely difficult to write stuff that sounds similar to other bands, or at least bands I've heard and listen to regularly. It just doesn't come naturally, and I really have to struggle to try to write something similar. So I think bands can do a lot better than they let out, or maybe they're limited by having a full line-up, who knows. All I know is I never have problems with writing stuff that sounds similar to other bands and a lot of my best stuff comes to me straight out of my brain and can be written in one day. :p Maybe it is harder for some people, I don't know. Fantastic review though, sir! And I am sorry I rambled and slid my buttox across the rug of your fine thread. Peace!

It's really easy for me :)! I don't realize it at first, but I write something, and don't realize its totally a riff hack until maybe a week later. Thanks for the compliment man :)

^Yeah, I'm sure actual fans of hardcore/metalcore will like this more, but its harder for me to like because it's not one of my favorite genres