Marshall 6101 Anniversary Combo / ENGL Powerball

Hexer

Nov 1, 2003
Germany
Visit site
which one do you think is better and why? what are the pros and cons of both?

which one would you recomend me?
I mainly play Extreme-metal (in the Black/Death/Thrash/Melodic area). I am in 2 bands, so I'd need something that I can use for both, one is more in the melodic-death/thrash direction, the other more Black/Death metal (kinda like Behemoth).
I mainly play rythm but also some melody/solo stuff so I want something NOT muddy, something to boost solos, and the possibility to switch between clean and heavy distortion via footswitch. some other options to play around with are always welcome!

I have already tested both amps, but that was quite some time ago and I have no possibility to directly compare both.

what is obvious: the ENGL would be more expensive (I'd also need a cab and the footswitch that isn't included if you buy the amp). is it worth the additional money? (I remember being really fascinated when I tested it, but as I said before: I don't have a chance to compare directly......)

I have no experience with the Marshall Anniversary series (any of them) but the Powerball is a really cool metal amp. Nice and fat. That 4 channel thing sounds like a load of crap to me though, it's just two channels with two different modes each. For a metal player, that isn't of much use, since you probably want your clean really clean and your distortion really powerful (and it is with the Powerball). If I was in your place, I'd get an OD pedal with the amp, to round out the lead tone and boost the volume a little.

well, i know the capabilities of the powerball pretty well by now (read a lot about it, tested it....)
when I tested it, I found out, that I could use the first channel for clean only and the second for 2 different distortion-types ("channel" 3 actually was my favourite, really enough gain, channel 4 has al little more that could be cool for soloing, though). and to boost solos it also has the VLS-function (second master-volume).

btw: I've read that the Marshall Anniversary has that pentode/triode-switching function. I've seen it on other amps, too (Mesa for example) what is this all about? what does it do? what is the effect of it?

still: any experience with the Mashall Anniversary amps anyone? especially in comparison to the Powerball

That VLS thing just boosts volume, right? That wouldn't work for me, but if you like it, that's cool.

A triode is a three element electron tube. Pentode is a five element electron tube with a supressor grid (how much fun it is to read electronics books lol). Changing to triode operation drops the power by 40% or so, and it also smooths out your tone. It helps you get some more powertube saturation at a lower volume (which is still loud as hell).

right, the VLS just boosts the volume by offering a second master-volume-setting (VLS = Volume Level Switching). this is what I'd mainly need for boosting solos, but maybe I'd combine it with switching to channel 4 to get a little more gain, too.

thanks for the info about the pentode/triode thing!

I've found some reviews of the Marshall on harmony-central.com
it seems very good, too. the ratings are just a little bit lower than they are for the ENGL and i think the reviews for the ENGL sounded a little more "euphoric", but that may just be my view of things.
my problem is: i kinda was "in love" with the ENGL stuff at least a year or so, since i tested one for the first time (this was the Sovereign50 I bought later) so it's kinda hard for me getting back to the idea of maybe playing a Marshall again now ;)

what bugged me a little in the Marshall-reviews was: the reviews of the Powerball were mainly from metalheads and people that at least sometimes play metal while the Marshall reviews were done mainly by people who like to be able to play every style from funk over blues to hardrock and maybe metal.
to say the truth: i hardly play anything but metal, so I really need a good METAL-AMP

I'm sure the Marshall CAN be used for metal pretty well, I just wonder if it's any good getting an amp with a lot of functions or sounds which I'll never use or if i'll be better off with the Powerball that seems to be more of a pure metal-amp..............

I'm not much of a fan of combos. I wouldn't turn down a Vox AC30, but generaly speaking, I like the extra low end a 4x12" or a pair of 2x12"s provide. And it doesn't get any more metal than a head on top of a cabinet. LOL.

But is that combo part of the Silver Jubilee 25th anniversary series? If it is I'd jump on it anyway. Those amps we're based on the early JCM800s (2203 and 2204) with improved tone and gain. They're supposed to be some of the best Marshalls since the 60s.

Edit: Nevermind... That combo you're considering is one of the 30th anniversary ones, right? I have a couple of friends who had the 6100 head and I remember them saying it was a pretty cool amp with some great tones in it. If you like it you could just get a 4x12" to go with it.

Indiooo said:
That VLS thing just boosts volume, right? That wouldn't work for me, but if you like it, that's cool.

Its not a volume boost its a completely different master volume.. So you can set one to be your standard playing level, and then have the switch change the volume level to a bit quieter in a different section, or you could use it as a volume boost for a solo or just to increase your volume, or you can set it dead at zero to make it cut your volume completely out.

It basically has two channel sets low gain and high gain... Within those two sets there are two seperate channels that share EQ's (other than treble at the top, they have seperate treble knobs). Channel 1 is the true clean where as channel 2 is dirty (low gain set). Channel 3 and 4 are similar but 4 has a lot more gain than 3. There are also 2 other modulation knobs on there a "Depth (something)" knob and a Presence knob.. With the proper tweaking you can get a killer tone out of this amp.

The Powerball isn't 'just' a metal amp it has capabilities to play other styles; you just have to tweak out the channel you want to use.

I've owned Mesa, Peavey, and Line 6 amps and I would say that the Powerball is pretty much one of the best metal amps I've played. If you really like the Powerball I'd say go ahead and grab one but try to find one used.. Typically you can grab one used with the footswitch for a pretty reasonable price. Just have to do a little looking.

Enmity said:
Its not a volume boost its a completely different master volume.. So you can set one to be your standard playing level, and then have the switch change the volume level to a bit quieter in a different section, or you could use it as a volume boost for a solo or just to increase your volume, or you can set it dead at zero to make it cut your volume completely out.

My point is that it affects only volume, not EQ. That wouldn't work as a solo boost for me, that's all I was saying.

Indiooo said:
My point is that it affects only volume, not EQ. That wouldn't work as a solo boost for me, that's all I was saying.

Ahh.. I gotcha. So you'd really need a completely seperate channel for leads then. What amp do you run now out of curiousity?

I really want to get my hands on a block letter 5150 just to tinker with it for a month or two to see if I can get that ideal / perfect tone.

It's cool, I guess I didn't explain myself properly. I wouldn't really need a separate channel. An OD pedal does wonders for leads. Right now I use either a JCM800 for the Marshall tones or ADA MP-1 Classic + Marshall EL34 100/100 for... well, hot rodded Marshall tones. ;) I also use a Chandler Tube Driver as a booster/OD. It's a great tool even with the MIDI preamp. Just the fact that I'm hitting the preamp harder makes all the difference. The tone gets a lot rounder and sweeter, works great for leads. With the JCM800 it's even more important. Altough I don't go for a very scooped rhythm tone, I don't like to have as much mids in my rhythm as I have in my leads. The Tube Driver puts back the mids and and adds volume, gain and warmth when it's time to solo. This is the way it works for me, no need for extra channels (and I have "128" of them with the ADA).