Martin Popoff compares Akerfeldt's vocals to Dan on his GR review

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Pretty cool indeed. :)

--
OPETH Ghost Reveries (Roadrunner)

It’s almost hard to believe these damn Opeth record don’t take five years to make, given the cathedrals of sound Mikael and his pensive consortium studiously build monk-like. In fact, Ghost Reveries might be the most complicated of a formidable lot, the album marking the best integration of the Damnation and Deliverance polarities (and of course, it’s closer to Deliverance), Opeth throwing everything tour de forcefully at this record, including all those old school keyboard and synth tones, as within the engulfing oasis mid-‘The Baying Of The Hounds’ and the John Paul Jonesing of ‘Beneath The Mire’. Catchy bits abound, beginning less than two minutes in with Mikael’s first clean vocal over a little tribal crouch, Akerfelt then offering another clean proggy piece a couple minutes into the following ten-minuter, the guy sounding (and thinking) like Dan Swano. ‘Atonement’ finds the band doing Page-Plant, but with full on haunt, full-on production pageantry, while ‘Reverie/Harlequin Forest’ offers another desert trek with a full stop for thirst-slaking, the spirit of Van Der Graaf Generator hovering o’er. And on and on, with calculus-theoretical rhythms and (too standard) death growls exploding and taking up impressive space before the next death row contemplation. I mean, all told, this is actually a pretty mellow album, rife with a certain creative mania (I wouldn’t call it joy) at a gulden opportunity to prove even further and more emphatically, that Opeth can shape-shift mercilessly quickly, stay in the new mode forever or fleetingly, and then ‘ere’s a new pattern to digest. Ultimately, Ghost Reveries is everything writ large, its only shortcoming perhaps being the arbitrary length of songs, and the arguably (but most definitely “sometimes”) arbitrary stacking of parts within them. Still, I can’t see any way not to call the album a 10 – the quality is just too high, and the Opeth sound is so entirely its own, the record’s got that rare uniqueness thing going for it as well.

10.0 Martin Popoff
--

I really do not like reviewers who consistantly compare the subject matter to other bands or artists. It is a quick and easy way of NOT having to accurately describe the music being reviewed.

Though, I have to add, the new Opeth album is by far their best work to date. These guys just keep getting better... and better..... and better.......

Mikael and Dan's vocals are nothing alike...well maybe when the growl but clean,no way. besides that everything is true and GR is awesome.