Martyr - Warp Zone

RETIREDTrapped

New Metal Member
Sep 12, 2001
Of all the technical death metal bands that have ever released a cool album or two, Martyr is definately my favourite. There is so much good music on this album, and they have totally progressed from where they left off on Hopeless hopes. The first thing to change was the production, Warp Zone is top class in terms of production, crisp, clear, yet not synthesised like later Pestilence. The guitarwork is phenomenal, there is not one moment on this album that does not hold your attention. You really have to hear this band to understand what i am talking about, from the crashing Warp Zone, the downright cool Virtual Emotions, to the progressive Retry! Abort! Ignore!, this album has it all.

There is so many cool riffs on this album that every five minutes you are like "Man, why didn't I think of that one!?", and while every song is catchy and chocked full of worthwhile riffs, it is still technical as hell, and would stand up against Atheist or Death at their most aggressive and chaotic moments...

The vocals have improved out of sight since Hopeless hopes, but Daniel's death growls just bother me somewhat, they are so forced that it sounds like a cross between Suffocation, Pestilence and James Hetfield, not a good mix... But the guy's screaming is just phenomenal, the vocals on the song Warp Zone are just amazing, and if they have improved this much from their debut, then i can't wait to hear what they are like if they release a new album.

I'm a big fan of these guys, but i'm a little scared as of late, they lost a guitarist, and while i have always though Daniel Mongraine was the better of the two, i somehow doubt that there is a better match of two guitarists, as they mesh perfectly, and one guitarists solos go great over the other's riffs, the reverse applies. I am yet to hear his replacement, and i am praying that they don't turn into Sphere's era Pestilence, and bring in a pile of guitar synths that sound like shit...

9/10 - Awesome music, but the vocals are just not quite there yet...

Yeah, most tech death bands have below-good vocals... try Alarum though, they've got normal/clean vox which are pretty good.