MASSIVE High-Gain Amp Shoot-out!

I used to live in brisbane so I feel your pain ermin :lol: It is bloody hot here in the UK though haha, at school everyone packing into our tinnnny litttle common room cus its the only place with an aircon unit. Anyway, need to look at those video's tommorow, from reading here theres a fuckton of cool amps.

Joe

Am I missing something? Are we judging these amps based on Youtube audio quality, or are there some high-quality tracks I don't know about?

Ermz, what do you mean by "Claymaned" and "Killswitched"? Claymaned I assume is fredman technique, but whats the other?

You shouldn't think of that as anything more than your own opinion. I'm by no means the most seasoned engineer around, but I do this full-time, have recorded a great many amps, and can tell you I do not feel the same way whatsoever.

How so? You say you like all these tones because they're not at all fizzy, but they're also undergained IMO - I'm not saying all amps are equally fizzy when properly saturated, they vary depending on the amp (and from my recent experience I actually think the 2 ch. Recto is on the more annoying side), but it's that fizz when you play a chug and it sustains that I'm talking about.

EDIT: However, I'm referring to the sound at the source, and how it's initially picked up by the microphone, but yeah, of course you can cut some and still have a dominating metal tone; however, I think when it's cut (or cancelled out via multi-mic'ing) too extremely, it sounds unnatural/processed/whatever, like I mentioned before.

+1 that the Dual Racktifier p'wnd them all. Good news, considering I own one. I don't really like this test overall, the tones are not dialed in that well. I wish I had the resources to spend months with all these amps, but right now I'm banking on that my three modded amps sound better than anything I've heard aside from the Engl Savage 120, period.

That recto is fucking incredible in these clips. On the flip side, the 5150 and the Deizels sound absolutely horrid. That may be the worst 5150 sound I've heard. I really enjoyed the Marshall clips as well.

Yeh, not really high gain as we know it, I liked the scooped sound of the dual rec, the Engl and the Framus sounded the most high gain to me, all be it that the bottom end was very flabby.

Some great tones for rock though, the Marshalls and Soldanos stood out for me, the Bogners and the Diezel didnt know where they wanted to be, did not like them much at all.

They did miss 1 important amp IMO, and for hard rock and blues (if your into that), you cant go past a Bad Cat. I heard one of these (the lynx I think) running through a Bad Cat quaddie, and it was the purest sound for rock I have ever heard. They are dear, but if your chasing pure tone, check them out. We plugged into an Ulbrick after that and no comparison, like night and day (although not in price).

Oh, I wish I was there. Woulda smashed them all, taken everything and left dingas hangin outta their bums!:heh:

Thank you very much for posting this!

my favs:
Splawn Modded Marshall (this one is ubertight!! :headbang:)
Tritone 100
Soldano SLO

Damn, liking that Mark V lead tone! The C+ rhythm tone isn't all too bad either.

Dan McManes Gibson les paul sunburst WCR american steel!

Fuck that XTC is a tight mother! That's exactly how I remember it back from school Ermz.

I agree that it would have been nice to have more Engls, that Screamer 50 doesn't sound too bad.

Bogner Fish sounds like ass.

I think it's safe to say that I'm not a fan of the 5150III for metal.

The dual rec, bogner xtc, and 69 marshall jose mod are where it's at for me! But yeah, would it have killed them to throw a tubescreamer in front of them from time to time to also show the metal side, as well as the rock side?

Damn, liking that Mark V lead tone! The C+ rhythm tone isn't all too bad either.

Hahaha, my thoguhts precisely!

But do you think for this forum it would have gone:

Schecter Hellraiser EMG 81's

I kid, I kid.

this was kind of pointless since no one in this entire shootout played any bit of metal.